Bad Hair Cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can't save em all

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg Hello,
I bought an old home with this 80 year old tree in the backyard. The previous owner took a chain saw to it. I have removed much of the old dead wood, but I am not sure if she's done for. I would like to save her. She may never be a beauty queen again, but is there a way to make her look presentable. Any help would be much appreciated. Mahalo

Presentable hmm if it were mine I would cut it then plant new ones and keep the chainsaws away. About all you can do with that is eliminate hazards!

Hello,
I bought an old home with this 80 year old tree in the backyard. The previous owner took a chain saw to it. I have removed much of the old dead wood, but I am not sure if she's done for. I would like to save her. She may never be a beauty queen again, but is there a way to make her look presentable. Any help would be much appreciated. Mahalo

It looks presentable now.

Do not do anymore "haircut" trimming. When you identify that the top is becoming too dense, look for which one branch you could remove completely to improve the appearance. Cut that one branch back to the trunk and over time the tree will look better.

Don't cut any more energy producing limbs, the crown is already too thin. Possible nutrient deficiencies, leaf size & color not uniform, best to get it professionally looked at.

Back