Propane now 99 cents / gallon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
With propane now at 99 cents per gallon, and a 10 cord log truck load of oak at $1000 minimum. I might be kicking the gas furnace on more this coming winter. I have been holding off buying a log truck load of wood because of high prices. A year or 2 ago I was getting a 10 cord load for $800. I just had my 500 gal propane tank filled I might just burn wood when I can this winter instead of burning wood 24/7. I am getting tired of getting up at 2 am to stoke the wood stove, I have 2 indoor free standing wood stoves. I'm not getting any younger. Just thinking out loud here.

I wouldn't be suprised if the prices go way up this fall again, It's been wet here and some of the beans are kinda behind so I am guessing the farmers will be buying lp for the dryers this fall. It always goes up in the fall and winter it seems. Don't get me started on the BS behind fuel prices weather it be home heating fuel or road fuel. It's all driven by greed, politics and money. I will burn wood for as long as possible if nothing else just to keep from paying "the man" for his fossil fuel.

That is why a always buy my propane in or around July, lowest prices of the year. My last refill 500 gal tank was last mid July I was at about 8% left. I normally go a full year on 500 gallons of propane, hot water heat and furnace. I am considering buying another 500 gallon tank. At these prices $.99 I could get 2 - 500 gallon tanks filled for about $800 vs $1000 for 10 cords of oak, and not be under pressure to keep the wood stoves burning 24/7. I can scrounge enough free wood, but not enough to heat with 100% without buying a truck load.

YOU SUCK!!!!! $100 a cord for oak and 99c for lp. I just went and had 5 1oo lbers filled at $2.59 gal. I have not seen lp around a buck in 20 yrs. same with oak firewood at $100 cord.

Good to have both! If you got it and can get cheap propane, stock up! This will give you a cushion to scrounge and get years ahead on wood. Then when the whammy comes down again (and everyone knows this cheap fuel isn't going to last...) and propane goes up fast, you have a backup.

I don't pay for wood, but do buy our LP in the summer when it's lowest. I don't heat with LP though, just wood stoves.

At those prices propane is almost 2x the cost to heat than wood.

Propane is about $14 per million BTU where wood, at $120/cord (I added a bit for cost to cut and split) is about $7.50.

2am reloads? I heat my house with a wood stove and I've never done that. Usually fill the stove in the morning and again in the evening. If it drops to -20 ish then maybe 3 loads a day.

Propane here is about $3/gal if picked up. Delivery is usually a bit more.

Here it cost me 30 some odd dollars to fill a 30 pound tank, but I can get 2 months out of one in the summer and 4 months in the winter.

Here it cost me 30 some odd dollars to fill a 30 pound tank, but I can get 2 months out of one in the summer and 4 months in the winter.

Wow, that's cheap living Gypo.... I just ordered my summer fill at .99 also. Will need about 450 gallons for the next 12 months. Hot water heater in the summer and stove. Furnace didn't run all last winter that I know of. Cheapest I can remember for more than 10 years.....

Wow, that's cheap living Gypo.... I just ordered my summer fill at .99 also. Will need about 450 gallons for the next 12 months. Water heater in the summer and stove. Furnace didn't run all last winter that I know of. Cheapest I can remember for more than 10 years.....

That's about $4.50/gallon.

I have natural gas for the water heater, kitchen stove, dryer, and garage floor, it's about $500 a year, probably 100 of that is b/s "use" fees.

Wife called last week to have our 500 gallon tank filled and they told her it would be $2.34/gallon. I called one competitor and they had it for $.99 first fill and $1.19 for the standard rate. I called our company back and advised that they could come up with a more reasonable price or they could be fired. They insisted that the out of town office that answered the phone when she called initially had not given her the summer discount rate (yeah, riiiiiight... it was an accidental overcharge.) They came down to $1.39 so I agreed to it. If the gauge hadn't been right at 0% I would have fired them, but I guess that will have to wait until next summer now. Have I mentioned that I hate the propane company?

Wife called last week to have our 500 gallon tank filled and they told her it would be $2.34/gallon. I called one competitor and they had it for $.99 first fill and $1.19 for the standard rate. I called our company back and advised that they could come up with a more reasonable price or they could be fired. They insisted that the out of town office that answered the phone when she called initially had not given her the summer discount rate (yeah, riiiiiight... it was an accidental overcharge.) They came down to $1.39 so I agreed to it. If the gauge hadn't been right at 0% I would have fired them, but I guess that will have to wait until next summer now. Have I mentioned that I hate the propane company?
you reacted much diff.. id have fired them,,and called the compettitor...liars and thieves.........

That's about $4.50/gallon.

I have natural gas for the water heater, kitchen stove, dryer, and garage floor, it's about $500 a year, probably 100 of that is b/s "use" fees.

Okay, I missed something, What's 4.50 a gallon?
My comment to Gypo was the fact he can go all year on about 150.00. That's cheap living. Just making an observation.....:)

My comment to Gypo was the fact he can go all year on about 150.00. That's cheap living. Just making an observation.....:)
proPAIN. in certain areas......last year, on another forum, guys posted that somewhere in NE, it got as high as 6.50 a gal......weren't ripping those folks off,,were they???:dizzy::dizzy:

I second your confusion. I have tried to read that response in every way possible and still can't come up with $4.50/gallon for anything discussed so far. :dizzy:

EDIT: I missed Gypo's post about filling a 30 pound tank for $30. Now I see where the $4.50/gallon is coming from. I think the last 20 pound tank I filled cost me about $7.

I second your confusion. I have tried to read that response in every way possible and still can't come up with $4.50/gallon for anything discussed so far. :dizzy:

EDIT: I missed Gypo's post about filling a 30 pound tank for $30. Now I see where the $4.50/gallon is coming from. I think the last 20 pound tank I filled cost me about $7.

Okay, my brain fart. :oops::oops: I see what I didn't see before, pounds, not gallons. I should know better, I have a few of them also.

Still that is cheap living, 5 tanks a year even at 4.50 a gal. 150.00 for fuel for the year, not bad.

Back