Another Big Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Chisel

Slingin' Stihls and runnin' Huskies
Reaction score
Earlier this week a relative said they had a dead oak that needed to come down so I agreed to take the wood. I didn't expect this. The tree was a 3' White Oak and had been dead for 5+ years. It had been topped out previously but the crew didn't return to take down the trunk section. As you can see, the tree was in the middle of a deck, only several feet from the house with a substantial lean towards it. The plan was to rope off into another tree and swing the pieces out, but the first one clipped the deck...the tie off tree was too far away. So the deck was disassembled and the tree was tied off and dropped.

This was easily the HARDEST wood I have ever encountered. The top half was completely dry and very dense. I was having to pull hard through the cuts, even with freshly sharpened RS chain. This stuff should burn great. I'm thinking it will end up around 2 cord total.

2015-07-26 16.55.50.jpg 2015-07-26 16.56.29.jpg 2015-07-26 16.57.15.jpg 2015-07-26 16.57.42.jpg 2015-07-26 16.58.12.jpg 2015-07-26 16.59.01.jpg

Oh yeah, noodles galore! This was another great workout for the 372. It was bought on ebay as a rebuilt saw, and it has certainly held it's own so far. It has a 3' White Oak and a 4' Red Oak under it's belt with no hiccups at all. Very impressed with the saw.

I have to say, I had my doubts about the lawn tractor with the front loader...but that thing did great and totally saved my back with this job! Sure wish I would have had that at my disposal for the 4' red oak I cut up earlier this summer!

Great scores, you've been hustling! I'm just picking at it, you can stand completely still in the shade here, two minutes later your shirt is soaked through. Normally I can take the heat better but egads this is like tropical.

Yeah, the heat index was close to 110* today, dew point of 80* is just ridiculous. Can't drink enough water to replace the output...

Full Chisel,

Hope your not allergic to poison ivy, your locust rounds have some serious ivy on them.
Hard to tell if it's Virginia creeper or poison ivy in the picture.
No safe way you will be burning that locust until a couple years after poison ivy is removed.

Full Chisel,

Thank heavens it's creeper.
Waiting for 2 years for poison ivy oil to breakdown would have sucked, let alone everything you owned having been contaminates waiting to get you at some point.

BL is some mighty fine firewood, great for those real cold nights.

Borrowed a splitter from a friend and got some serious work done...got everything split up and ready to be stacked! There's somewhere around 4-5 cord between these piles.

20150818_150708.jpg

Back