Another newbie with a bunch of questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petzlpretzel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'll make this short and sweet,lol. I am the owner of a landscaping/snow plowing company since 2003. The last few seasons I've been passing up tree trimming and subbing it out and loosing out big time. Last year we decided to dabble in trimming and bought an ECHO commercial expandable pole saw, it's been a great addition and has paid for itself probably 3 times over by now. I've educated myself on proper pruning of limbs etc. but now want to get into the tree for even more potential earnings. I will be training with a buddy in Sept. at his company in NY, he'll be teaching me climbing, rigging etc. but I want to at least get my gear before I go there so I am familiar with it. So far the only piece of gear I've bought is a Petzl Sequoia SRT saddle and an ECHO 303T climbing chainsaw. What else do I need from hear...from what I've read and viewed, I like the Hitch Climber set up, (clean and simple). What ropes, asenders would you recommend. Thank you in advance! A local arborist supply shop around here has no one thats knowledgeable about gear or climbing (imagine that) plus they don't carry much inventory and their prices seem to be about 30% more than anywhere on line.

If you are starting out I wouldn't go srt. I'm not familiar with that harness, i used to use the regular sequoia. The New England fly is a great less expensive line.

Just hire a climber. Why buy another hat?

You have a great point but Im not busy enough yet in that area to hire on a specific guy. I've got everything we do now down to a science I just don't want to pass up any more work...I've seen the income potential. My goal is to be an all inclusive property management company, we're very good at mowing,landscaping, plowing and even painting. Window washing and trees are the missing link, plus I want to get in on my buddies emergency disaster team.

If you are starting out I wouldn't go srt. I'm not familiar with that harness, i used to use the regular sequoia. The New England fly is a great less expensive line.
Well I asked a friend of mine before I bought it and he said I can do both with this harness. If I can't it's no big deal, I can always sell it. I bought this harness locally for a steal, they list anywhere from 415-445.00, I ended up buying it for under 300 bucks because the company wants to downsize with their harness selection and they just wanted it gone. It's super comfortable and very light compared to the 4 other comparable saddles I tried on.

This is a good reason to find a contract climber in your area. Use him, learn from him, and keep your reputation intact. Otherwise you run the risk of ruining your reputation while you learn a new trade. A week with your buddy is not going to turn you into a climber.
It's pretty rare I jive with this guy, ain't that right JL?
But seriously... He's 110% right in everything he's said here. Take his advice.

It's pretty rare I jive with this guy, ain't that right JL?
But seriously... He's 110% right in everything he's said here. Take his advice.

I appreciate the advice on hiring a climber and it does make sense to a degree. If all I wanted to do is be the middle man and make a few bucks off every job then that would be the way to go I guess but thats not my intentions. Ive hinted around to a guy we have used in the past about shadowing him around and his reply was "what so I can train you to take food out of my mouth" and I guess I'd be the same way if someone wanted to follow me around and learn what we do day to day...NO THANKS, in fact I don't know if anyone would be willing to do that. I talked to Nick at Treestuff today for a bit and he's lead me in the right direction.

OK, one more time, and then I'm done. Based on the info you've given us, you've b=n in the landscape business 12 years and been successful. You want to expand into tree work, which, while related, requires a whole new skillset and different equipment. So you're going to learn to climb.
1. Who's running the shop while you learn?
2.Once you've learned to climb, you are now climbing 8 hrs a day or more, who's running your business?
3.You have to stop thinking being a good landscaper has anything to do with tree work. Two totally different occupations. From a customer service standpoint, sure, but two totally different skillsets.

That being said, if you're bound and determined, don't do it half assed. A weekwith your buddy wwon't produce the results you want.

I again have to agree with jolly logger. I think you're biting off more than you can chew at the moment. It's a TOTALLY different skill set. Mowing lawns is to tree work about as much as pottery is to dentistry. Plus.. The "couple of bucks" you drag in from being the middle man (while you try and learn a new TRADE) is more than the "no bucks" you're making now.

My sentiments echo those expressed previously re. "learning the ropes" with tree work. It is a skill set that looks easy, but is far more difficult to acquire in reality. To become decently proficient and efficient ("competent") takes a long time. If money is no object, buy yourself a nice tracked lift....
Perhaps swimming pool maintenance is another missing link to your all-inclusive property maintenance empire.
btw, I think you are on the right track with the property maintenance biz. More and more of them are springing up around here in "cottage country". Aging baby boomers can afford to pay someone to do work they used to be able to do.

My sentiments echo those expressed previously re. "learning the ropes" with tree work. It is a skill set that looks easy, but is far more difficult to acquire in reality. To become decently proficient and efficient ("competent") takes a long time. If money is no object, buy yourself a nice tracked lift....
Perhaps swimming pool maintenance is another missing link to your all-inclusive property maintenance empire.
btw, I think you are on the right track with the property maintenance biz. More and more of them are springing up around here in "cottage country". Aging baby boomers can afford to pay someone to do work they used to be able to do.

Wouldn't laugh at pool maintenance! Another buddy clears 60k doing it around here and we have maybe 5 months of "pool weather".

Well.. You're not going to clear 60k in 5 months with you doing tree work while running an already established landscape company. Maybe pools is your avenue.

Hey look! no one said it would be easy, no one said it wouldn't be a ton of practice, didn't say I was climbing into a 100ft tree tomorrow and hoping for the best. I just asked for some advice on getting started. I guess I should have know better to come to a forum with a ton of armchair QB's willing to offer nothing but negative comments as to why no one shouldn't learn. While I respect your thoughts, I'm not a middle man type of guy so thats not an option. In fact the whole thought of "tagging along" with someone who does this is just unrealistic and a bit ridiculous...would you let someone tag along with you to learn everything you know and eventually start taking your jobs!? I wouldn't! Good luck, climb safe....I'm out!

No one told you how to do tree work. No one armchaired a thing. You asked for advice, got some you didn't like, and got your knickers in a knot.
Arboriculture is a profession. You immerse yourself to become a good arborist. If your incentive is STRICTLY money.. In my opinion, you're of on the wrong foot from word go.
Money hungry and ambition (in a bad way) leads to accidents and injury.
Think of it as people trying to share the reality of the life with you.
Climb safe.
-j

You should check out climbingarborist.com, its a website of some Canadians who make some pretty good how-to videos.
Then you should buy Tree Climbers companion, and even maybe buy Jerry Beranek's working climber series. A little pricy but way worth it.
Watching these will tell you what kind of gear you will need to buy.

As far as climbing system, I'd recommend starting off with a blakes hitch ddrt. Then after you master that you can start playing around with the other systems like split tail VT with micr0 pulley and all that stuff.

Just go to the park for a while and climb for fun before you even attempt to bring a chainsaw into the tree. Good luck , take it low and slow at first

The advice given above is harsh but pretty true. Having not even worked on a tree crew as a groundie, going from landscaper to tree climber is a bold/stupid move.

but if you're gonna do it, you're gonna do it.
good luck

Well I think it's sad when a true professional in his own industry asks other "professionals" in their industry how to do things right and get nothing but "hire someone" and pretty much blown off and I read in another post where a farmer (no offense) asks how to cut this apparently very dangerous tree down and everyone is offering advice. I don't need business advice and didn't ask for it. While I respect everyone's opinion that's just as it is. But like I said before I'm out of here! I don't need people telling me not to, just hire a guy, etc. I'm very fortunate to have a good friend who is very successful in the tree industry willing to teach me, will it come overnight....no! but I didn't say it would either but the ol' saying that "it's a phone call away" is a nice thing to have! Again...good luck, be safe!

You should check out climbingarborist.com, its a website of some Canadians who make some pretty good how-to videos.
Then you should buy Tree Climbers companion, and even maybe buy Jerry Beranek's working climber series. A little pricy but way worth it.
Watching these will tell you what kind of gear you will need to buy.

As far as climbing system, I'd recommend starting off with a blakes hitch ddrt. Then after you master that you can start playing around with the other systems like split tail VT with micr0 pulley and all that stuff.

Just go to the park for a while and climb for fun before you even attempt to bring a chainsaw into the tree. Good luck , take it low and slow at first

Thank you for the advice. I have the Climbers Companion coming tomorrow, waiting for the gear to get here to practice the Blakes hitch which I could tie with my eyes close by now and yes, practicing at a park right next to my house using Ddrt. Talked to Nick at Treestuff and he walked me through most of the basic gear. See...was all I was asking for, thank you again Tree 94.

Back