Tree concern and ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hope pictures give enough info. There are several that appear to have dead tops. I thought they were sycamores but the folks at the school think they are some of type of maple. I know someone here can not only tell me the type of tree but if any action needs to be taken to keep the trees alive.

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2931.jpg
    IMG_2931.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2930.jpg
    IMG_2930.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 37
It's definitely a sycamore. They are a messy tree I would just remove them if I were you. If you really want to try to keep them then just have all of the deadwood trimmed out of them and see how they react to it in the spring.

That is a London plane. Not good look to the top. Terrible pictures to try to give any feedback... I am not so quick to remove. I don't think they are all that messy - especially in an open park setting as opposed to a well-manicured front lawn or over a picnic area.

You are part right, it's a London plane which is a hybrid of an oriental plane and American sycamore. I agree with ATH, I think they work well in a park setting. Take some better pictures of the crown.

Definitely london plane. They are susceptible to anthracnose, but I can't tell from the pics. They are heavily used around here for street trees, although we do have sidewalk lifing issues. I think they make a great tree on a site where they have the room to grow.

I wouldn't be so fast to remove it. Deadwood it and see how it responds. Make sure it isn't drought stressed or living in sterile soils.

If it's messy, then by definition all trees are messy and we should cut them all down and install pavement.

That is a London plane. Not good look to the top. Terrible pictures to try to give any feedback... I am not so quick to remove. I don't think they are all that messy - especially in an open park setting as opposed to a well-manicured front lawn or over a picnic area.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhchuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu sneeze gag puke sneeze nasty trees unless way out in the wood:laugh:

Back