are red dawgs practical for a groundie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottinAK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need new boots. My 3 year old irish setters are slick as a dog turd. I hear alot of good things about red dawgs but are they practical for me. I hope to start climbing soon but still would be mostly on the ground.

What I'm really looking for is a 10-12 inch logger, lace-toe, non steeltoe, but can't find it anywhere.

check out carolinas!
I did, the 10" are either steel toe or met guard. That's the first place I looked, Chippewa doesn't have any tall enough, Georgia and Danner sucks. I want Nick's but they're not in the budget or time frame.

Good boots always pay you back. I had to go back to Whites this summer because of some injuries. Ive been wearing Viberg since 03 and they are still the best boots Ive ever wore . But , the Arch Ease last that Whites are built with is hwlping my old injured knees. . Buy the best u can . I would reccomend a boot you can stand in the spurs comfortably . Even if you have to spend most of your time on the ground . Eventually you will spend more and more time up a tree .

Great Jeff ; well , the screwed op poplar satyed under me when I took the top out of it. I had my life line in a healthy white spruce next to it. And I had a guyline in it holding it against the dominate lean. . I had to lower the top as there was a big propane tank right under it. Not to heavy so I used my 8 and lowered it myself. It was definately big enough to bust the heck out of propane lines and fittings. But . 3 hours in the spurs and my knees are still ok. Tired but ok.

Scott; there are serious boot guys and not Serious boot guys. . I'm a Serious boot guy. Ive only made a bit over 1k climbing since I got this pair . But, my feet and knees arent hurting . And they worked great skinnin a cat before that . I didnt really consider climbing when I got them. And tho they wont last nearly as long as my Viberg's . They are worth what I paid for them . I think I have a bunch more climbing coming up so these will make me more money up the trees. Plus the old timer Overhead on the fire I was on were soewhat put at ease with a new dozer hand . That was familiar enough with the brush to be wearing Whites. . I didnt tell them that they were Loggers and not Smoke Jumpers . :blob2:

Check out the 2015 Salewa mountain trainer boots. I got a pair last week and love them. They are as light as a tennis shoe, but have the support and feel of a boot. They also come with a 2 year warranty. I spend about 50% on the ground and 50% in the tree, and they do well in both. Comfortable with spikes, and nimble without. Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.45.46 AM.jpg

What I'm really looking for is a 10-12 inch logger, lace-toe, non steeltoe, but can't find it anywhere.
Scott look at the Wesco Job Master boots. I've had a few pair and love them. I don't know your budget but the about $380. They're pricey but i've tried cheaper boots and they don't last.
http://workingperson.com/wesco-boots-jobmaster-logger-work-boots-110100-79438.html

If im not climbing i wear Danner Quarry
http://www.danner.com/product/work/quarry/quarry-usa-gtx.html

Scott; there are serious boot guys and not Serious boot guys. . I'm a Serious boot guy. Ive only made a bit over 1k climbing since I got this pair . But, my feet and knees arent hurting . And they worked great skinnin a cat before that . I didnt really consider climbing when I got them. And tho they wont last nearly as long as my Viberg's . They are worth what I paid for them . I think I have a bunch more climbing coming up so these will make me more money up the trees. Plus the old timer Overhead on the fire I was on were soewhat put at ease with a new dozer hand . That was familiar enough with the brush to be wearing Whites. . I didnt tell them that they were Loggers and not Smoke Jumpers . :blob2:
I'm a serious boot guy. I've decided to go with Nicks Ridgeline @ 12 inches.

Check out the 2015 Salewa mountain trainer boots. I got a pair last week and love them. They are as light as a tennis shoe, but have the support and feel of a boot. They also come with a 2 year warranty. I spend about 50% on the ground and 50% in the tree, and they do well in both. Comfortable with spikes, and nimble without. View attachment 438568
I'm weary of that style. I've always been a full leather boot man. Maybe one day but it's like a hard habit. My climber wears something similar.

Back