Anybody contract with a mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha that ticket would have been quite a prize! The mill we cut for was just bought by northwest hardwoods. Previousely known as Shenandoah hardwoods. Those guys had more tricks to get $ than you would imagine. I guess northwest hardwoods they are out of the pnw. Nobody here jas a clue.. the loader operator basically asked me if the northwest was indeed in the northwest...:dizzy:
NWH has mills here in Wisconsin as well. I believe they are the largest hardwood lumber mill company in the United States. They buy a lot of log jobs around here, and are impossible to compete with for stumpage if they need wood. But, like I said to Wood Cutter, you can always go cut for them.

That's why I do both man. Last year out of 100% of the wood I sold, 60% was logs and bolts. So, my chainsaw time is still pretty high relative to other mechanized pulpers. I like the break it gives me from the cab. Im on my third double bunk! Valmet, Timberjack, Ponsse...
Well that handcutting keeps ya honest anyway! I suppose its been two years now since I talked to you. I never send wood to the pulp mill anymore so I quit going to SFI meetings.

Hello Kid, here's a load crowding 10,000 bf. It was mostly cherry with some maple thrown in.
Gypo, can you show me a 10,000' load? I dont doubt you.
Listen to this though, my current boss has been inc. For decades, not a dumb guy, mostly illiterate though. Anyhow, he can't hardly get 5,000 on a tractor & trailer grossing 83,000. Talking good logs stacked nice. Ive never scaled a load prior to them doing it, but he has to be getting screwed..

Oh yeah,"irregardless" not a word..
image.jpg

056 kid said:
Listen to this though, my current boss has been inc. For decades, not a dumb guy, mostly illiterate though. Anyhow, he can't hardly get 5,000 on a tractor & trailer grossing 83,000. Talking good logs stacked nice. Ive never scaled a load prior to them doing it, but he has to be getting screwed..

056 kid, important to remember in Michigan they can do 162,000 gross. The pic gypo posted is a real good one. The truck pictured wouldn't be considered a big one in Michigan.

NW hardwoods is indeed based out here.

They had a "buyer" that really wanted to see your timber and really wanted to look at it before you cut... and then they would bid on it and take it out from under you.

The mill they had real local here got shut down... So they bought out Washington Alder and are now running it a little farther north.

image.jpg Pretty sure, Ive had 70,000 pound payload payload on that tri axle truck and trailer. Hope to do it a few more times.
056 kid said:

056 kid, important to remember in Michigan they can do 162,000 gross. The pic gypo posted is a real good one. The truck pictured wouldn't be considered a big one in Michigan.

Back