Setting climbing line around large diameter spars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdtreeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Say you are doing a removal with a crane. All the brush is off and you are left with the spar. After setting the chokers at the top of the spar you come down to cut a log length piece of wood (8-20 feet). What is the best way to set your climbing line and safety line around a large diameter spar in order to make the cut? I will take the snap while attached to my climbing line and whip it back and forth (clockwise and then counterclockwise) at about eye level trying to lengthen it with each whip until it goes far enough around the spar where I can grab the snap and then tie in. Not sure if this explanation makes sense. Just wanted to see if there is an easier or better way to do this. Did a large poplar removal today and thought there has got to be an easier way. Thanks

There's more to this issue than it might seem. Plenty of guys are on flipline only in a situation like this, but that's just dangerous. It only takes one small accident which can easily happen - your flipline caught up on a twig/bark round the back of a large spar and when you make the back cut you go straight through the flipline and that's the end of your life. 2 points of attachment when cutting at all times. I will usually set my climb line at knee height and flipline at waist height. Flipping your rope round a big spar (6'+) takes practice but it's not that hard. I usually double wrap. If it's a really large spar then sometimes I'll wedge the end of my line somewhere and spike round the tree to retrieve it. Being a bit strategic helps here too.... I usually flush cut climbs but try to plan ahead on crane jobs and leave a stub where I'm planning to cut blocks so I can single wrap and still have something to lower myself off of in a worst case scenario. Your life line is there to save your life, not just to keep you attached to a tree. At all times when using a saw, you should be able to payout your flipline and unclip it, then lower yourself off with one hand.

I like to take a small (6 or 8 oz) throw weight with me when chunking down wood. I clip it on and it gives me extra weight to throw flipline and climb line around big wood.

I think I saw that in the tree climbers companion one time.. Or somewhere. Anyways i tried it, and have been using that trick ever since. Works good.

I like to set my climbing line on the ball of the crane. Just put a large locking carabiner or a shackle above the ball and rap off of that. Then, when you get to where you are going to make the cut, do the behind the back flip with your flipline and clip in. Then pull your climbing line from the carabiner and you are ready to cut.

Latest posts

Back