Moisture Meters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And nowhere near as good as learning the art better rather than relying upon yet another device to displace knowledge and experience.

It's like buying a chain grinder to do the 1 1/2 loops of chain used in a year because it is a "heck of a lot better" than hand filing.

Not having a dig at you personally, just lamenting the self-fulfilling dumbing down prophecy in all this approach that places consumerism above the importance of sincere endeavour to learn skills before they are lost for good and the ignorant phalanx that society becomes will be even further dependant upon worshipping at the consumerism alter.

</rant>
UMMMM. What art????? I mean really... What art??? The art of guessing at wether or not wood is dry enough??? Clanking two pieces together? Try that with a 20" round thats 2 foot long... I sort of chuckle at the anti moisture meter guys. I mean REALLY what is the sin of using one? And who cares if they are ACCURATE. If your MM reads 50% and it burns good then who really cares if the wood is TRULY at 18%. It's like putting giant tires on your truck. Your speedo says your going 40mph when in reality your going 60. You know this so you drive 40. (or whichever way that works but you get the point).
So when your meter says 50% you burn and all is well...

As for the chain grinder, I seldom read where someone says it's better.. I mainly read where people (like myself) say it's "BETTER FOR THEM". Hand filing does in fact seem to be an art. An art that I can not seem to master. I have tried and tried and just can't seem to get it right. I bought a grinder and it works great. I don't have the desire to continue to try to hand file so I will grind away and keep cutting wood. It's not that I am consumer driven it's just that I don't give a tinkers damn to spend more time trying to learn something that I can do just fine with a tool.

I have spent the last 30 years of my life mastering (or attempting to) the various arts of carpentry. I can run a block plane, a handsaw, a chisel, and many other antiquated tools of my trade better than most but yet I simply don't any more. Why? Because I just don't need to. Many of these skills are dying and quite frankly they should. We now have newer, better, and faster ways to achieve results. It's not consumer dumbing down. It's just simply progress.

Ya wanna light a fire with 2 sticks or do you wanna use a match!

The cheap moisture meter I have is pretty accurate when compared to an expensive one that is used for measuring moisture of lumber in the kiln. Within 4-5% on everything I compared the 2 against.
The spendy one, Delmhorst brand I think, was close to $1000 several years ago when it was bought.
I know you can pick what the wood species is when measuring which the cheapo I have you can't.

And nowhere near as good as learning the art better rather than relying upon yet another device to displace knowledge and experience.

It's like buying a chain grinder to do the 1 1/2 loops of chain used in a year because it is a "heck of a lot better" than hand filing.

Not having a dig at you personally, just lamenting the self-fulfilling dumbing down prophecy in all this approach that places consumerism above the importance of sincere endeavour to learn skills before they are lost for good and the ignorant phalanx that society becomes will be even further dependant upon worshipping at the consumerism alter.</rant>

^^^^ If I could "like" this 10 times I would! ^^^^

I have the general, got it for fun. Only use it if I am cutting a dead tree in winter. I would rather burn it then rather than stack it and wait, then bring it in. Al;so good to show people that problems with there stove is the wood not the stove.

I have the general, got it for fun. Only use it if I am cutting a dead tree in winter. I would rather burn it then rather than stack it and wait, then bring it in. Al;so good to show people that problems with there stove is the wood not the stove.
Will yours read accurately in frozen wood? Mine wouldn't.

I have the general, got it for fun. Only use it if I am cutting a dead tree in winter. I would rather burn it then rather than stack it and wait, then bring it in. Also good to show people that problems with there stove is the wood not the stove.

That right there is a good reason to own one for a lot of people. I've thought about them in the past (as a curiosity) but have no "real world" need for one.

Back