Old Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRThomas

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I always run my saws out of gas. This time I had to leave in a hurry begone for thirty days I only us gas from my Stihl dealer. Will I have trouble starting my 3 Stihl saws .

I buy premium, but still ethanol mix, gas and mix it with stihl synthetic oil and never have a fuel problem. The oil is advertised as having fuel stabilizer in it. I don't know if it actually does or not, but I hear people talk about fuel problems a lot and I have never had any fuel related issue so it must be fine.

My saws sit for longer than 30 days sometimes. Especially in summer.

I leave 91 non ethanol fuel in my saws for longer than 60 days at times with no negative effects. I doubt you will have any issues if you are using good gas and quality oil. No need to add additional stabilizers, quality oil already has all it needs in it.

hi i cant seem to post a new thread anymore, so i guess i will ask my question here and hope for some people to see it. i bought a ms362cm and still have nit fired it up, its been about 10 days past 3 months. i went and asked a guy at my dealer if the gas or oil he put in it had stabilizer in it. he said no. he went on to tell me that a little over 3 months is nothing, and that i have nothing to worry about. he also said that they leave gas in thier saws for over 2 years and they still start right up with no stabilizers or issues. these guys have proven before to me that they know less than me when it comes to chainsaws. theydidnt even know what full wrap chaps are.. so i dont want to truat these idiots at all

i dont want to trust them.. so with that being said, what should i do. should i siphon as much of the gas out of the tank and then run the saw till the carb is empty? or could that damage my new saw in some way? am i missing any steps i could do to keep my saw like new? thank you in advance for anyone that can help me

What to do?

Use the saw. 3 months isn't going to be an issue, and neither is 2 years. Well that is unless you are using junk fuel like that ethanol stuff. I'm not sure on that stuff, never dealt with it as we don't have it here.

Full wrap chaps are what? Only full wrap I know of is a chainsaw handle.

knowing these guys at my local dealer, they probably used the worse fuel and oil they could find. i emptied the tank and ran the saw till it stopped, so im hoping i got all the remaining fuel out of the carb and lines. i will now be storing the saw for 2 more months. is there anything i can do to make sure there is gonna be no dammage to the saw? when i tried to start the saw to run the fuel out of the carb, it didnt want to start till the 9th or 10th try

We get saws in the shop often that have been sitting in who knows what back shed since Regan was I office. Full of bird crap, mouse piss, cobwebs, the works.

A couple recebtly the gas stankso bad that it stunk me up just from being in the shop and I'm not the mechanic. I went for a haircut that night after a shower and fresh clothes and the barber asked if I'd be working on a gas engine!

Anyhow, 9 times of 10 it just takes blowing out the carb, maybe new fuel lines/draining out the nasty and they are running. The only 1 time either the diaphragm needs replacing or the carb is completely hosed... too corroded.

So.. for a couple months, i wouldn't do anything. If you really "feel" you need to do something, dump out the fuel.

ok thanks a lot for the advise guys. very helpful, i dont feel so bad about forgetting the gas in my new saw :clap:

Back