Vermeer 252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not change the jackshaft or the bearings. You won't notice an increase in ground speed by upgrading the engine. You have to speed up the hydraulic pump by increasing the size of it's pulley. You can still adjust the speed of the sweep by adjusting the knob near the levers. That way, if you are grinding a stubborn stump, you can just slow it down and take your time. You can find more info about these upgrades here. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/list-of-upgrades-to-vermeer-sc252.61193/

Higher hp equals higher production. Higher production equals more money in your pocket.

Higher production only means more money in your pocket if you have the sales (or other paying work) to utilize the saved time. If higher production just means more time sitting on the porch drinking beer, then you might as well have the lower cost machine.

Higher production only means more money in your pocket if you have the sales (or other paying work) to utilize the saved time. If higher production just means more time sitting on the porch drinking beer, then you might as well have the lower cost machine.
Valid point. I can't argue with that.

I followed the threads on this forum to beef up my 252. I upgraded the pulley on the hydraulic pump from 3" to 3.5" and switched the engine to a 35hp Briggs Vanguard. The end result is a machine that has faster ground and swing speed and grinds about 30% faster than the previous version. I spent about $3000 instead of $20K for a bigger and newer machine. I'm very happy with it, but agree that the 25 horse version sucks. It's a good first grinder if you don't have a bunch of money to spend or if stump grinding is not your primary source of income for your business. If you are grinding at least a couple times a week, spend the money and get at least a 35hp machine. Higher hp equals higher production. Higher production equals more money in your pocket.
What exactly did you do to beef up your 252? My 25hp engine is shot on my 252 and would like to replace with a bigger engine. Would this engine fit? Thanks

Attachments

• engine for 252.jpg
    engine for 252.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back