Meet the new crummy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking truck, I think that is one of my favorite body styles!

I have never liked the front suspension on them though. They always look like they have bent axles going down the road. They are a pretty easy swap into a strait axle.

They aren't straight axle? We have a 96 at the shop, has a service bed on it and it's got a D60 front. Rear is single... I'm not sure how it doesn't blow tires, the bed, tools, gen set, air compressor, welder, fuel tanks, lift gate, etc weigh a few tons.

The front suspension is called Twin-Traction Beam, Dana. It's similar to a tractor's front axle. Centre mounted, but unlike a tractor it has springs and shocks that keep the axle stable. You won't find a more heavy duty axle, unless you look underneath a Scania or a Kenworth.
And the rear axle on a late 90's F250 is usually a heavy duty 10. 25"

Northy what rig did you have for your last crummy?

Was a 90 f250 7.3 idi 2wd. Still runs and starts good, but torque converter finally quit and I probably tater'ed the rest of the tranny trying to get it off the highway, and to a cutting job.

Not to mention 90mph on the freeway a few weeks back...

Northy. I had a 90 f150. Yours might be similar even tho its a newer 250. Mine had a speed sensor coming out of the tranny or tcase. If I wheel hopped at all, the driveline would torque up and snap off that speed sensor against the underbody, due to either a bad motor mount or transmission mount. It's been awhile, but that's the jist of it.

Was a 90 f250 7.3 idi 2wd. Still runs and starts good, but torque converter finally quit and I probably tater'ed the rest of the tranny trying to get it off the highway, and to a cutting job.

Not to mention 90mph on the freeway a few weeks back...

If I lived closer to you I'd be looking to buy that engine from you for my 4WD 86 F250. The 6.9L IDI engine in it is sick.

If I lived closer to you I'd be looking to buy that engine from you for my 4WD 86 F250. The 6.9L IDI engine in it is sick.

You could meet him half way. Have him bring it to Farley's in June and you can haul it home.
Also, that way we'd get both of you there for the GTG.

Saw Farley at the steam-up today, also saw the guy with the big Stihls that sent the saw parts...they both said to say howdy.

Wonder if that cap would fit a newer powerstroke (2002-2004)??? :)

By cap do you mean cab?

If so, unfortunately no, once they went to the 6.0-6.4 etc, its a totally different game, tranny frame, body all different. Its still a ford so the motor mounts would probably line up...

I could be conned into dragging it down to Farleys, but someone would have to pay for the fuel in the Dumper truck... And I really don't want that to be me...

yer styling, the natives i've been working for are running a bunch of old early 80's crummy's left over from MacMillan Bloedel. they are more of a 20 person crew bus though. there's only 6 of us so i set 2 seats up with a board going across so i can nap in the morning. :)

That I'd have to see. My Dodge put over 500hp to the wheels and it wasn't spinning 4 tires...

Hard launches meant broken parts.. broke a rear end, trans output shaft, twisted a driveshaft, 2 torque converters, 3 trans rebuilds, etc.

yer talking a POS dodge though :D

Great looking truck, I think that is one of my favorite body styles!

I have never liked the front suspension on them though. They always look like they have bent axles going down the road. They are a pretty easy swap into a strait axle.

i think you thinking older fords? the old axles with king pins were terrible for the bent axle look and wore tires unevenly. by 96 ford had ball joints. king pins were much stronger though.

The front suspension is called Twin-Traction Beam, Dana. It's similar to a tractor's front axle. Centre mounted, but unlike a tractor it has springs and shocks that keep the axle stable. You won't find a more heavy duty axle, unless you look underneath a Scania or a Kenworth.
And the rear axle on a late 90's F250 is usually a heavy duty 10. 25"

Except that unlike a tractor it's not a solid axle. It's a two piece, hinged in the middle.

That I'd have to see. My Dodge put over 500hp to the wheels and it wasn't spinning 4 tires...

Hard launches meant broken parts.. broke a rear end, trans output shaft, twisted a driveshaft, 2 torque converters, 3 trans rebuilds, etc.

How much you want to bet that truck was a manual? Hard clutching would spin those wheels with the right rears at 350 HP. My 6.4 makes that much power and will wheel spin.

yup, got the transfer tank, cb and tool box out of the old crummy this morning, to f'ing hot to keep at it for now. Its really amazing how much junk was in the old crummy, probably close to 1000 pounds of spare parts and tools.

Headache rack is mostly off, then Its reassembly time.

For now I'm still trying to run down the Speedo problem, new sensor new pig tail, still no go... fuses next, but it can wait till its cooler.
It's pretty common for the speedo to break internally. There are many services on the 'net that will fix them.

Back