Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have a line on a 621...needs some cleanup and TLC, but is from an estate....so I'm thinking one owner and then neglected, or at the very least just a couple of owners. I'm convinced I can hammer this saw in small stuff about as hard as I want to. I'm thinking of using it in my fencing business like I do the 80. What I use the 80 for most of the time is actually insulting to it. I'd retire it back as a woods back-up saw...the way it started out with me 35yrs ago. All the parts are there on the 621 and nothing jury rigged that I see so far.

Kevin

I may have a line on a 621...needs some cleanup and TLC, but is from an estate....so I'm thinking one owner and then neglected, or at the very least just a couple of owners. I'm convinced I can hammer this saw in small stuff about as hard as I want to. I'm thinking of using it in my fencing business like I do the 80. What I use the 80 for most of the time is actually insulting to it. I'd retire it back as a woods back-up saw...the way it started out with me 35yrs ago. All the parts are there on the 621 and nothing jury rigged that I see so far.

Kevin

Hope she's a keeper Kevin.......you'll love it......built just like an 80.....but not as powerful.....56cc but will run a 20" X 3/8" full comp chisel chain all day...every day.....for years...if it's not beat to death you'll not wear it out....not dazzeling power by todays standards....not wicked fast either.....buy plenty of smooth, quiet power to get the job done. Most of these got retired not because they broke or wore out but because the owners wanted a lighter faster saw........in the early 70's they were the "Cadillac" of saws...first with AV and quiet, front facing exhaust and unparalleled handling compared to any of the competition of the time.....arguably the most advanced and best designed saw Jonsereds ever built.....

I've never run a 590, are they really that much better than the rest in that series? I have a complete one that was straight gassed but never bothered with it because it was from the 5xx series. Should I be messing with it?

I've never run a 590, are they really that much better than the rest in that series? I have a complete one that was straight gassed but never bothered with it because it was from the 5xx series. Should I be messing with it?

The 590 wasn't anything like the 510/520/535 other than the rear handle design. Worth the effort to get it running, but you may have a hard time finding the correct piston.

Hope she's a keeper Kevin.......you'll love it......built just like an 80.....but not as powerful.....56cc but will run a 20" X 3/8" full comp chisel chain all day...every day.....for years...if it's not beat to death you'll not wear it out....not dazzeling power by todays standards....not wicked fast either.....buy plenty of smooth, quiet power to get the job done. Most of these got retired not because they broke or wore out but because the owners wanted a lighter faster saw........in the early 70's they were the "Cadillac" of saws...first with AV and quiet, front facing exhaust and unparalleled handling compared to any of the competition of the time.....arguably the most advanced and best designed saw Jonsereds ever built.....

Good to know Robin, thanks. I plan to use it in my fencing business, so weight won't be an issue. I just need something durable/reliable that has full comp and can make smooth, neat cuts on posts.

Kevin

Yes they are actually a Partner in red......same as the 500 or 5000+ Partner....I can never remember which is which...one Partner is the same as the 490 and the other is the same as the 590....but yes all very good, fast, light saws.......as cambl said......nothing at all like rest of the 4XX and 5XX saws.....the only other exception besides the 490 and 590 is the 451E or 451EV.....these are very nice smaller saws...originally designed as a dedicated fast limbing saw......no place to bolt on dogs even.....

Yes they are actually a Partner in red......same as the 500 or 5000+ Partner....I can never remember which is which...one Partner is the same as the 490 and the other is the same as the 590....but yes all very good, fast, light saws.......as cambl said......nothing at all like rest of the 4XX and 5XX saws.....the only other exception besides the 490 and 590 is the 451E or 451EV.....these are very nice smaller saws...originally designed as a dedicated fast limbing saw......no place to bolt on dogs even.....

None of those models have the same basic construction as the other 4xx and 5xx Jonsereds. The 451 is an older more traditional Jonsereds, closer to the 52 etc. in design, I assume?

IPLs show the 490 without the handle brace (like the P500, but I believe it had the 5000 or 500o+ top end), and the 590 with the brace - but on used saws it could of course have been changed both ways.
The 590 is 51cc/45mm, which is not the same as any of the Partners in that model "family". The larger than 44mm/49cc Partner was the P5500, that was 46mm/53cc.

Of course, not all saws will have the original top-end/top-end size by now.

I love my 590. Got it trashed from a farmer at church. A little tough to find parts but is light and fast. I use it quite a bit.

Brian

None of those models have the same basic construction as the other 4xx and 5xx Jonsereds. The 451 is an older more traditional Jonsereds, closer to the 52 etc. in design, I assume?

IPLs show the 490 without the handle brace (like the P500, but I believe it had the 5000 or 500o+ top end), and the 590 with the brace - but on used saws it could of course have been changed both ways.
The 590 is 51cc/45mm, which is not the same as any of the Partners in that model "family". The larger than 44mm/49cc Partner was the P5500, that was 46mm/53cc.

Actually Niko the 451E/EV , though an older design is not very much like the 52/52E at all......newer...in the time of the 70E......the 451 had many versions...the early ones looked much different than the later versions......three separate and very different igns......some late versions were set up to run the Nordfeller attachment same as the 70E.....I believe 451 is one of the very last of the true Jonsereds innovations before the fall........good shot but to little to late......I have several build projects in this series and work on three client 451E/EV saws.....an unsung hero fer sher.....

When the 590 first came out on the west coast, it did not have the handle brace for a couple of years.

The story I heard for the model change is that they had to increase the displacement to 50.1cc to get around some noise regulation in Europe. The only difference from the 490 to 590 was the bore size and a decal. There was an oil pump change in there somewhere too. Why did they call it a 590? Maybe because they already had models called 520, 525, 535, etc.

Interesting to note that the Husky 50/51/55 has a very similar cylinder design with the intake boot and impulse tube so there must have been some engineering cross over.

Jons 490 010 (Medium).jpg

Interesting to note that the Husky 50/51/55 has a very similar cylinder design with the intake boot and impulse tube so there must have been some engineering cross over.

I believe the Husky 50 used at least the same top end as the P500. Replacing it with a P5000 one occationally happened before the saws were sold.....

Apart from that, the 50 obviously isn't the "same" saw, even though some have said it is.

49cc, electronic module of course, hence the 'E'. If you scroll back through this thread, you can probably find a promo pic of it in the sales lit Eric posted. I can find a IPL for the 520, but not the 521. Acres has the specs on the 521, but no pic. He says it's the same as the 52 but with heated handles, but the 52 has points.

Robin, Eric or sawtroll will clarify I'm sure. Post some pics!

Kevin

I'll get some pics, tore it down far enough to get the 1st coffee can of dirt off it. Fired it up and it ran pretty good until it set of the fire alarm in the shop (raining out) switch is bad, had to choke kill it.

Cleaned up the saw and took a couple of pics while it was apart. Seems to run pretty good from what I can tell, not sure what to do with it? Painted a few parts and thinking about what's next.

Attachments

• 521 Jonsered (2).JPG
    521 Jonsered (2).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 521 Jonsered (3).JPG
    521 Jonsered (3).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Jonsered 521E (1).JPG
    Jonsered 521E (1).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Jonsered 521E (2).JPG
    Jonsered 521E (2).JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 18
49cc, electronic module of course, hence the 'E'. If you scroll back through this thread, you can probably find a promo pic of it in the sales lit Eric posted. I can find a IPL for the 520, but not the 521. Acres has the specs on the 521, but no pic. He says it's the same as the 52 but with heated handles, but the 52 has points.

Robin, Eric or sawtroll will clarify I'm sure. Post some pics!

Kevin

Acres site isn't always accurate, but it still is a good place to start looking for info on older saws. As far as I know, it was the 521EV that had heated handles - but I may be wrong, as I am not an expert on those saws....

Latest posts

Back