Trumbull, CT: Tree & Trauma Surgeons help rescue impaled worker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
(Friend of mine who used to be a volunteer FF in Trumbull said they have in the past drilled with local arborists for rescuing injured tree workers)

A man impaled on a ladder while cutting a tree in Trumbull underwent surgery and is in fair condition.

Emergency responders and trauma surgeons worked for nearly two hours Tuesday night to save a man who became impaled on a ladder while cutting a tree in Trumbull.

Officials with the Long Hill Fire Department said a worker was trimming a tree on Fresh Meadow Drive when he became trapped between two large limbs and impaled his leg on the ladder.

"We found one male with a large tree branch – estimated, it was probably in excess of 2,000 pounds – with a ladder partially impaled into the victim," said Deputy Chief Alex Rauso of the Long Hill Fire Department.

Local tree companies and trauma surgeons were called out to cut the man free. Rauso said crews worked for an hour and 40 minutes to rescue the worker, who was suspended 13-15 feet in the air.

EMS officials got on-site support from an area hospital on how to extricate the person, treating him as a "critical" call because of the nature of the incident.

"The extrication process was very tense, very extreme," said Rauso.

He said the man was conscious and speaking throughout the process. After removing the impaled object, a ladder, he was transported to Bridgeport Hospital for further treatment. His condition is unknown.

"The firefighters did an extraordinary job with this rescue effort," Rauso said. "It was very involved, very detailed, very challenging, and their efforts were extraordinary today."

Bridgeport Hospital is not releasing the patient's name at this time. He is expected to recover, according to Rauso.

"The firefighters rescue efforts definitely saved this gentleman's life," Rauso said. "It's always a great feeling in our business when the outcome is successful."

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...While-Cutting-Tree-in-Trumbull-318047611.html

Holy crap I cant even imagine how the ladder impaled him. Both ends are very blunt, I wonder what got him and where in the body did it happen. I'm assuming the thigh since he was talking for over an hr with emergency crews, sounds like a real crappy day

Back