my lawn boy 2 stroke mowing the yard

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if she's smokin, then she's oil'n. Thats kind of how you have to look at it sometimes. Often an engine will make good power that way, maybe because it's loose and has less friction or maybe because the oil takes up space in the combustion chamber thereby increasing compression. Not a preferred condition by any means, but I have seen it several times in the past.

I agree that a good four stroke beats a lawnboy for power and cleanliness. However the lawnboy is very lightweight with a mag deck, and then there is the vintage cool factor which cannot be ignored by us strange 2 stroke fanatic folk. Neighbors sure hate the blue smelly smoke though. I'm not fond of the neighbors so that works for me. Come to think of it, I'm probably not too terribly fond of the EPA buracracy either.

well I mowed a rural cemetery on the 3rd of this month and the grass was pretty tall about 7 inches in spots and the mower did fine
of course the owner only wants it mowed once a month because of the lack of funding and it can turn into a jungle in now time I will post a video to show you guys how well it does in tall grass. yeah im a diehard lawnboy fan.

well I mowed a rural cemetery on the 3rd of this month and the grass was pretty tall about 7 inches in spots and the mower did fine
of course the owner only wants it mowed once a month because of the lack of funding and it can turn into a jungle in now time I will post a video to show you guys how well it does in tall grass. yeah im a diehard lawnboy fan.

LOL jake, you got the good'ol kentucky accent. i'd say out of all the lawnboys i ever had i never had one that was in as good of shape as yours.

Best thing about a two-stroke is that you can take it on a hillside or down in the ditch without worrying about lubrication issues. I've got an old Lawn Boy in the shed for just that reason. You can't leave fuel in it though; don't know if the tank has a crack or if the float/needle need work but it will leak and smell nasty in a closed area.

My Lawnboy seems to lose fuel from the tank if sitting more than a week no matter which way the shutoff valve position is. But yep, if she's smokin, she's oil'n.

Best thing about a two-stroke is that you can take it on a hillside or down in the ditch without worrying about lubrication issues. I've got an old Lawn Boy in the shed for just that reason. You can't leave fuel in it though; don't know if the tank has a crack or if the float/needle need work but it will leak and smell nasty in a closed area.

i take my 4 strokes on steep hills too. maybe there is a lubrication issue to worry about but i don't worry about it LOL

you can leave fuel in mine fuel valve on or off. but mine has a new tank shutoff valve and i did a major overhaul on the carburetor.
it had more leaks than the exxon valdez before i fixed it lol

im using the lawnboy oil that is bottled in the metal cans it will puff a little smoke if you hit a tall patch but it seems to do fine running blue death as a lot of people call it.
i only got 192 cans of this stuff i might as well use it.
th.jpg

I have one of these but I need a recoil starter assemble- one of the ones that mounts a 90* angle to the crank. Anyone got an extra lying around?

I have one of these but I need a recoil starter assemble- one of the ones that mounts a 90* angle to the crank. Anyone got an extra lying around?
give me the model of your lawn boy it should be behind the engine on the back between the back wheels.

Love that white cooling shroud. And Jake orange/Lawn-boy green custom pictured further down, with the motocross-style drilled airbox.

I always admired other people's lawn-boys but I didn't own one until recently when I picked up a mid-80s model 7035 off CL. It's got the stamped steel deck and the F engine, and a handlebar bail that controls a flywheel brake and ignition interlock.

I plan to remove that safety stuff but other than that it's great. The lawn boy makes a very nice even cut even in tall grass. I don't mind the steel deck as long as it's not rusted out!

Thanks for the vids...not everyone seems to appreciate those mowers but to me they seem elegantly simple in design and functionally quirky in operation, with a unique sound and smell. I'm glad to see people who like to actually mow with them still. Wish I'd gotten one sooner!

Also, DrewUth, post photos of your mower's shroud design and starting arrangement. I have a parts mower here with a working recoil, but there are different styles...

I owe you guys photos- sorry I was away for the weekend, I'll get some today. I can tell you that it is a yellow shroud, green deck, and the recoil assembly mounts 90* to the crank/flywheel, near the 7:00 position if you are standing behind the mower. It works similar to a motorcycle kickstart- with a gear on a "threaded" bushing that moves inward towards the flywheel when engaged, and self retracts as the pull cord is released and the flywheel spins.

Looks like this:

156590737_-vintage-lawnboy-lawnmower-lawn-boy-mower-recoil-starter.jpg

Back