Flipline Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlman0123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im new to the climbing world. Already have access to ropes and have a saddle already I just need to buy a flip line. Im looking at either braided rope or a three strand flivline both are on baileys. I guess Im looking for some advice on which one might be better for a humble newbie like me trying to get his feet off the ground. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Im new to the climbing world. Already have access to ropes and have a saddle already I just need to buy a flip line. Im looking at either braided rope or a three strand flivline both are on baileys. I guess Im looking for some advice on which one might be better for a humble newbie like me trying to get his feet off the ground. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Braided with a steel core.

Thanks for showing what you use arborgeek. I guess another question would be if Im not going to be using a chainsaw or doing any removal can a get away without a wire core? I don't want to skimp on the safety equipment not when my life counts on it I just know that Ill be using a handsaw for a while before my chainsaw ever leaves the dirt.

I don't use a steel core for pruning, only for removal. As Lone Wolf said, you can cut through a steel core flipline. One of my friends has done this before. The steel core is rigid, making it easier to use when climbing with spurs. I don't like using steel core when moving around in the canopy. I don't think that you need to use steel core at this point, just make sure to tie in with two points even when using a hand saw, and you should be good to go.

Alright thanks.. Now I've also noticed different thickness is there a better route to go with? Im thinking 1/2" right now but or would 3/4" be better?

Generally the larger fliplines cause less fatigue. I prefer the half inch. But for a standard short line you could do 7/16.

how's the climbing been going? I'm a newb myself and find single rope technique to be most fun. If you are not removing the tree its best not to spur it. Climb the rope by foot locking and have your flip ready as your 2nd tie in point. Like I said I'm new to this.... Anyone disagree with my method?

Not long after starting to climb I was introduced to the 2 in 1 lanyard. Which is a locking snap/ clip at each end with a sliding prusik and locking clip between the two end clips. I find while working aloft it helps to get you positioned securely for the use of two handed saw work or on those wiggly limb ends. I make my own now and use three different colors to quickly identify which clip is which.

how's the climbing been going? I'm a newb myself and find single rope technique to be most fun. If you are not removing the tree its best not to spur it. Climb the rope by foot locking and have your flip ready as your 2nd tie in point. Like I said I'm new to this.... Anyone disagree with my method?

Look at a ropewalking or R.A.D.S. system. Your body will thank you down the road.

Yes sir, I'll check it out, thank you. Climbing trees for fun I don't mind the physical effort it takes, part of the fun I guess. But if I was climbing to trim or remove it would definitely be nice to have an easier way to get up.

Take a look at Treestuff.com A sponsor here, usually good pricing and darn nice people

I like the steel core for flipping but thats about it. I much prefer a chunk of rope and a friction hitch. You can adjust both ways weighted with one hand. If you have access to some spare stuff it can be made for free. If not your looking at 2 snaps or biners, a few ft of rope, hitch cord, and something to tend the slack. No need for a pulley when a ring or small shackle will do the trick. Even buying all that stuff new is about half or less than a cheap steel core with a rope grab. Oh and much less weight.
All that being said, I own a steel core and I do use it when spiking up removals sometimes. Honestly it sits in a gear bag most of the time.

Back