MS 441C Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Rhoades

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My first post on here... A ton of great info. Thanks to everyone on here...
So I bought the 441 2nd hand. It's been great, but lately it's been bogging some. I think I'm going to take it in for a carb adjustment. But I'm curious about upgrades/mods that would give me the best bang for my buck... And is there anywhere I can order an upgraded muffler?

Thanks in advance!!!

I've learned a good bit from the site so far... Still a ton to learn.
So what upgrades would you suggest for the stock saw?

There's lots you can do. Open up the muffler, shave the squish, dome the piston, advance the timing, grind the ports, polish the ports etc etc.
As I said, read the chainsaw forum, that's where all the modified saw builders live. That and Saw Hawg.

So I've been reading everything I could find on here about the m tronic saws and carbs... Good stuff and bad... But good info. The carb definitely could use a good cleaning. Looks like the air filter wasn't quite sealing properly.

While I'm at it, ill change out the gaskets, etc.

I talked to a local Stihl tech briefly. I asks his opinion on making muffler mods to the saw... He said he's "supposed" to urge people away from the idea. But then he said that he really doesn't think its a good idea.

I'm not thinking about porting it anytime soon, but if its worth it, I'd like to open up the muffler some.

Thoughts? And thanks for all the info!!

I have a Stihl MS 460 that I have used for milling. Quickly discovered that as strong as the 76.5 cc's are it comes up a bit short in the power department for milling. My bar mill is 30" and I use it with a 36" bar. It does make a difference using a milling chain as opposed to a ripping chain.

I made my own fixture for trimming the sides of the milled lumber and use the 460 with a 16" bar for that task. I picked up a Husky 394 XP that is much better suited to the milling task but even then I sometimes wish I had a bit more saw. Lots of good information in the milling forum and all those guys are willing to help.

I had considered all those saw enhancement listed above. If/when my 460 needs serious work I will likely have a couple of those mods done to get the saw back in service.

Here's the trimming fixture I made. Drilling through the hard Stihl pro bar destroyed two drill bits but it works really well and is he!! bent for stout.

Here's a pic of the saw/fixture in use.

First cut on an Ash log using the 394.

My advice is get the carb work done and use the saw for awhile before jumping into the other mods.

Most excellent advice from TheJollyRoger - keep your chain sharp.

Thanks Flashhole. I've been milling smaller stuff. Im back and forth between a 20 and 25 inch bar. I use ripping chains... you mentioned to use milling chains instead of ripping chains. I thought they were one in the same. Is there a milling chain as well?

The conventional ripping chain has about a 30 degree angle on the cutting tooth. The milling chain is a lot shallower. The idea is to take less of a bite to make a cleaner/smoother cut.

Back