Splitting Tool Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 36" handle as well but am always open to try something different. With the amount of wood I hand split, if there's a better tool available, I definitely want it.
How many full cord a year for you? I do 7 all with the X-27... SO I'm in the same boat.

My only request is to compare those composite handle Husqvarna splitting axes to the equivalent sized Fiskars (by handle length). No fair taking the shorter Husqvarna and comparing it to others that have a longer handle.

I would like a high quality splitting axe or maul with more weight than the Fiskars for the larger rounds. I've always thought the wooden handled Husqvarna was a good vale maul compared to the real expensive mauls with similar shape.

How about a one of those council mauls? Seems like I remember reading a thread about them.

Fiskars makes bigger ones just you have to order them off of like germany amazon, etc.

My Helko vario 2000 has never smited a round of wood. It's too pretty to use and hangs on the wall.

Here is a link,

http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/store/p3/Vario_Heavy_Log_Splitter.html

http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/store/p3/Vario_Heavy_Log_Splitter.html

C5,

The Zombies show up and I guarantee that Helko will be doing some smiting.:surprised3:

My only request is to compare those composite handle Husqvarna splitting axes to the equivalent sized Fiskars (by handle length). No fair taking the shorter Husqvarna and comparing it to others that have a longer handle.

I would like a high quality splitting axe or maul with more weight than the Fiskars for the larger rounds. I've always thought the wooden handled Husqvarna was a good vale maul compared to the real expensive mauls with similar shape.

How about a one of those council mauls? Seems like I remember reading a thread about them.

Despite receiving lot of praise from one member (who was more in love with the price than the tool), everyone else who purchased one was unimpressed. Benp's Council maul broke on day one and everyone reported it was prone to sticking in partially split wood. Therefore I see no need to include it in this comparison.

Heck I'll cut off the rest of handle and donate the head to this if someone wants to re handle it.

Now that I understand how and why it broke, I would of broken it many times over all ready. Any wood handle tool for that matter.

Now that Helko.....I like C5's idea. I'd have no issues mounting that sucker on the wall right under my primo Trailer Park Boys print by the front door.

I see one potential problem with this shootout though.

Imo, it would have to be one person, who has serious seat time or owns all of the tools, and knows the ins and outs of each one to get the best out of them. I would bet they all have nuances that need to be learned.

And @zogger is right. If you got someone who's real handy with one of the yellow hardware store splitting mauls or axes that had a good edge, I would imagine that tool would hold it's own.

Stihl has axe's also ,not sure who the sistership twin is though that makes them for them .

jake.jpg

These stihl axes are by far my favourite. Perfect weight to swing for hours, but heavy enough to go through the tough stuff too. They come reinforced heavily with thick steel on the handle as well. I believe you guys are correct that they are made by oschenkopf

This guys axe's would be nice to test , but am sure is unobtainable to the average guy . Hand made from a blank of steel
http://www.neemantools.com/en/products
I think his site shows $550 for the maul, no engraving, of course. I love my long handle Fiskars, plan on getting the 28" handled version to take in the woods and also for my son to use. I'd like to try one of the Stihls too.

If we were to put together a splitting tool "shootout", what brands would you like to see represented?

Here are the major brands I can think of off hand:

Fiskars
Gransfors
Husqvarna/Wetterlings/Hultafors
Husqvarna composite
Ochsenkopf
Wilton

Who else am I missing?

Bavarian splitting in axe in Garrett Wade catalog
Autine
John Neeman

Back