the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most blokes with (half a brain and) $70 grand go out and buy a NEW V8 LANDCRUISER TRAY and don't waste time on decrepit axle breaking relics bwildered - lol - each to his own though I guess :D
Tell that to the Tojo blokes that have seized or stuffed the motors in them & not got warranty because they were run without oil, which was happening before they fixed the excessive oil consumption problems. They could be run dry in one day on a long trip. Series 1 rovers didn't have enough power to break an axle, that came later with the series 11 & has been vertualy non existent ever since the series 111, mind you a guy here did manage to break a Salisbury diff & they flew out some engineers from England to check it out, overloaded by double with 2 tonnes of fertiliser in the tray going up a 25' incline on muddy concrete wheel tracks will do that they reckoned. It is funny though when you stop at a garage for refuelling on a trip with other asian vehicles of the same era & they can't get over why they have to pump an extra $50 of fuel into them to cover the same distance & they ask how much fuel have you used? The reply is " none! it's making it! " LOL
Tansk

The only reason those old land rovers lasted 10+ years was because if you drove them any faster than walking pace on a bumpy track or worse it would break your back, all your teeth would rattle out, you'd crack your skull open on the roof and it would flood driving through a I y cold puddle on a cold day......

That is what I call a POS.

The only reason those old land rovers lasted 10+ years was because if you drove them any faster than walking pace on a bumpy track or worse it would break your back, all your teeth would rattle out, you'd crack your skull open on the roof and it would flood driving through a I y cold puddle on a cold day......

I'm on the third engine in my GU patrol & it rides like you described above, now that's what I call a POS.
I'd like to pick up an ex army 110 for a knock about vehicle, probably the best set up 4 x 4 that's ever been available.
Thansk

I drive a cruiser so best I not give my opinion of patrols....and I've driven a few.
I recall watching a mate weld the chassis of a cruiser wagon back together after it cracked all the way through the rail above the rear left wheel on a Cape York trip because it bottomed out that much, standard they're not that tough I thought.
Tanks

The standard 100 series suspension was a POS.

One bag of shopping from the supermarket in the back would blind oncoming vehicles of a night.

A 3 L oil burner Vince? In the trolls I've driven? Driven both the petrol and diesel and the newer large diesel.

I'd be quite happy if I could just have a turbo 6 cruiser, with the rest of the driveline Nissan and landrover do the suspension.
If they can bump the gvm to a bit over 4t that'd be even better, and throw an air locker in the front while I'm making a wish list.

My LC is the 100 series 4.2TD GXL 5 speed auto (great gearbox VInce.....diff lockers front and back, afte)r iarket suspension with lift(done properly). I run the standard tyres on alloys 48 weeks of the year and muddies on steel rims the other 4. It's set up to tow for work and camping in remote areas so put a third battery in it and a couple of amateur radios, rear power plugs...I've got an LC 200 series Sahara head unit to replace the original radio but haven't got around to it yet....Bluetooth will come in handy for phone and tunes....

Only problems ive had with it were when bought new it had broken headlight adjusters and at 3 months old the dash binnacle electronics went wrong...they replaced the entire unit....fuel economy is good for what it is and I do most of my servicing myself such as oil and grease and filters just straight forward stuff but it saves me a fortune and I know it's done right

Simple answer to all the above to's and throw's gentlemen, simply buy a new 4x4 every 4 years and let someone else worry about whats about to fail or wear out.
My last 4x4 was an 02 rodeo 2.8 turbo duel cab, the thing just kept on going with just maintance costs and some new bits as they wore out, engine and drivetrain were original. I was so impressed with it I did not bother with replacing it at 4 years and so another 4/5 years or so went by until one morning it stopped in a bad way.
Some quick assessments were over fuelled pump which was correct in the fact it was opened up but 4 years before it blew and that thing carried drums of fuel and tools up and down Walcha mountain for perhaps 8 years every week.
I bought a new Tritan 2.5 which made the rodeo look like a POS in every way except the old rodeo was better suited to a workhorse.
I spent around 6.6 thousand on the 2.8 rebuild and 2 weeks after getting it going again its pump packed it in (2 trips on NRMA) in a few months.
Over a grand later she was back on the road so I offered it for sale and eventually sold it for $8000.00 cash after I agreed to replacing the windscreen and re gasing the AC.
The Triton goes like the clappers, very good on fuel but has been plagued with problems like injectors and sensors since new, its got 148 K on it now after 3 years and is now out of warranty, it will be sold off after Christmas. Mine was sold with the very impressive 5 + 5 year warranty, ha ha what the lying salesmen did not tell me is in the book somewhere it says 5+5or 130 thousand which ever comes 1st.

I have owned 2 rodeos new, both excellent 4by's
2hilux's new, 2.8 and new 3.0 when they arrived, the later 3.0 was sold after 1 year as it was not suitable for my uses, both utes were reliable and had good brakes and steering, the 2.8 went better than the 3.0.
My 1st 4x4 was a 83 model, 2nd hand 50th anniversary Nissan Navara with a 2.5 diesel, it had side steps, chrome sun razers nice upholstery and was a very nice looking 4x4.She run at 110 all day until it saw a hill, then the gearbox had to be used and had steering that would go out of whack very easy, it used oil every week, gearbox lasted about 1 year then got stuck in 3rd.
I payed too much for it and it cost money every time i looked at it, was not my best buy and I think I has 2 gearbox replacements in that thing.

Must be a lot parked up then, I worked in the Great Dividing Range 1977-2oo8 and live in its shadow now, see other brand 4wds at about 500.1
Speaks for itself.

It's good you are having a good run and love 'em 460, all the best with them.
No, it only says there weren't many around.

It all comes down to the local dealer.

Go to Alice Springs and Defenders are running around everywhere, they have a great dealer there (Sutton Motors) who sell and support them, the sane around Singleton in NSW prior to ten years ago but the bottom line is that Land Rover Australia are only interested in luxury sales, they don't give a flying **** about commercials and haven't for thirty years.

And FWIW I lived in and around a little town of 800 in the range for fifteen years and three Deefers were running around there that entire time, and one of them was unmercifully flogged day in, day out.
Mine !

id get a land rover 130 over my gutlux if i had the coin
I enjoy using the old Lolux's but will never part with the 130 :D

I was using a mates old 2.8 hill detector for a couple of jobs and couldn't believe how sideways I could get on rough dirt road corners at silly slow speeds that the 130 would cruise around at about 30km/h quicker without flinching, but god it was fun !

True, but the 40s and 45s regularly pull $10,000 for a mint or restored one. Don't see too many 70's models land rovers go for that either. Each got their good and bad points I reckon.
A friend has an FJ47 that I borrowed for a week while I had the Defender off the road a few years ago doing the clutch, felt right at home in it.
It's mint, ex Bush Fire brigade with only about 40,000km and no rust.

They use it to pull a horse float and whinge about the fuel economy, even though it only gets used once a month !
Crazy, it's a great old rig.

I enjoy using the old Lolux's but will never part with the 130 :D

I was using a mates old 2.8 hill detector for a couple of jobs and couldn't believe how sideways I could get on rough dirt road corners at silly slow speeds that the 130 would cruise around at about 30km/h quicker without flinching, but god it was fun !
The latte set just don't get it that having to lug around an extra 800 kgs of extra weight, costs more in fuel, tyres, handling & off road capability.
Thansky

The bloody Defenders still leak !

When they first started ckd production here in the eighties a mate was an engineer with JRA and they sent a fax to the UK asking what size spray nozzles and what pressure they used for the spray rig to test water ingress.

The return fax came back "spray rig ?"

Back