Why do people still buy stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've seen personally in the last 10 months with this company as I seem to be the saw guy.

The 3120xp sits in one truck and has had issue after issue, it gets used regularly but not all the time and only by one crew who look after it. The exhaust fell off, the oiler keeps failing for different reasons, the chain brake broke and a few other silly annoying time wasting problems, also the air filter is bordering on pointless. The 880 on the other hand lives in the shed and is the go-to stump and big wood saw for whoever needs it that day, it gets abused by everyone that uses it because it is ownerless. It has had a few issues linked to abuse but nothing like the 3120

The new 395 is a beast, in its three month life from new it arrived with a stripped tensioner which was replaced under warranty, it's already had another one replaced and the chain brake gets so stiff its almost impossible to release. The other 395 bought second hand hardly used has a knackered chain brake on the to do list. And what's with that retarded chain tensioner?

The one 390xp at work gets worked hard, maybe as hard as the many 660s, the 660s have needed carb kits, tank vents, and occasional starter cord. The 390 has lost so many bolts it's stupid, the piston/cylinder is pretty worn from the dust that went straight through the airfilter, the oiler doesn't always work right, the tensioner has been stripped multiple times and yesterday the muffler disintegrated.

The 576 has been here for three months, it has a broken chain brake handle, runs ok, almost as well as a 461. The 461s have the same issues as the 660s, ie carb kits, tank vents, pull cords and occasional loose felling spike bolts.

The 365 husky has been mostly faultless as has the ms362s but they don't really get that much use

The single three month old 540xp in the company is roundly despised by everyone that has used it, including the husky fanboi that specifically asked for it, its fully broken in and it has no power in hard gum, it won't run until its warm and if it's turned off up a tree for more than a few minutes it needs warming up again. The feel of using it is also crap. The bloke who uses it has already asked me to find him a 201 and mod it, yesterday he used my 200t and realised what a POS the 540 is.

I've seen one old 201 die from a failed bearing which took out the piston/cylinder, another needed bearings and seals, otherwise apart from being dropped out of trees they are mostly faultless, tank vents, carb kits, airfilters, pull cords and maybe a couple of new carbs on older saws is about it. The 201t i is our most used saw and are reliable as hell.

MS192ts are about the same, very reliable

The three MS150ts have had four new handles between them, two from being dropped when the tool clip pulled out and two for reasons unknown, otherwise faultless.

The boys by choice (with one exception) will use a stihl over a husky, they are professional arborists not chainsaw enthusiasts and not one of them has ever polished a saw.
The 660, 461 and 201t are the backbone of this company and do 99% of the work.

That's a pretty unbiased review of an Oz tree company that work 10hrs+ a day, every day in all weather cutting heavy dense hard wood

My .02 - Husky air filtration is an absolute joke, I own and love stihls and huskies but I'm certainly not blind

From what I've seen personally in the last 10 months with this company as I seem to be the saw guy.

The 3120xp sits in one truck and has had issue after issue, it gets used regularly but not all the time and only by one crew who look after it. The exhaust fell off, the oiler keeps failing for different reasons, the chain brake broke and a few other silly annoying time wasting problems, also the air filter is bordering on pointless. The 880 on the other hand lives in the shed and is the go-to stump and big wood saw for whoever needs it that day, it gets abused by everyone that uses it because it is ownerless. It has had a few issues linked to abuse but nothing like the 3120

The new 395 is a beast, in its three month life from new it arrived with a stripped tensioner which was replaced under warranty, it's already had another one replaced and the chain brake gets so stiff its almost impossible to release. The other 395 bought second hand hardly used has a knackered chain brake on the to do list. And what's with that retarded chain tensioner?

The one 390xp at work gets worked hard, maybe as hard as the many 660s, the 660s have needed carb kits, tank vents, and occasional starter cord. The 390 has lost so many bolts it's stupid, the piston/cylinder is pretty worn from the dust that went straight through the airfilter, the oiler doesn't always work right, the tensioner has been stripped multiple times and yesterday the muffler disintegrated.

The 576 has been here for three months, it has a broken chain brake handle, runs ok, almost as well as a 461. The 461s have the same issues as the 660s, ie carb kits, tank vents, pull cords and occasional loose felling spike bolts.

The 365 husky has been mostly faultless as has the ms362s but they don't really get that much use

The single three month old 540xp in the company is roundly despised by everyone that has used it, including the husky fanboi that specifically asked for it, its fully broken in and it has no power in hard gum, it won't run until its warm and if it's turned off up a tree for more than a few minutes it needs warming up again. The feel of using it is also crap. The bloke who uses it has already asked me to find him a 201 and mod it, yesterday he used my 200t and realised what a POS the 540 is.

I've seen one old 201 die from a failed bearing which took out the piston/cylinder, another needed bearings and seals, otherwise apart from being dropped out of trees they are mostly faultless, tank vents, carb kits, airfilters, pull cords and maybe a couple of new carbs on older saws is about it. The 201t i is our most used saw and are reliable as hell.

MS192ts are about the same, very reliable

The three MS150ts have had four new handles between them, two from being dropped when the tool clip pulled out and two for reasons unknown, otherwise faultless.

The boys by choice (with one exception) will use a stihl over a husky, they are professional arborists not chainsaw enthusiasts and not one of them has ever polished a saw.
The 660, 461 and 201t are the backbone of this company and do 99% of the work.

That's a pretty unbiased review of an Oz tree company that work 10hrs+ a day, every day in all weather cutting heavy dense hard wood

My .02 - Husky air filtration is an absolute joke, I own and love stihls and huskies but I'm certainly not blind

but, but...... ok then :( LOL i heard the filtration sucks for oz in that dusty hardwood. works great in the rain forest here. tighten your bolts properly or even loctite them if you have too. most of your issues from both sides are not even brand specific issues. LOL **** happens to all of them. what kind of guys you got work'n for you to strip out so many tensioners? i swear i've seen one or two stripped tensionors out of all the old logging saws i get through here. carb rebuilds are unheard of on work saws here as well unless they did some sitting. how many times to you rebuild a 660 carb before it's toast? here a 660 gets clapped out then the carb gets used on another saw without a rebuild. is your guys fuel really bad there or something? replaced a few 660 tank vents over the years but most will go the life of the saw without issue. i suspect the difference in our cutting condition might really make the difference in our findings. all the stripped tensionors is a little crazy though. is it just that dusty hardwood sawdust getting in there and then one of your culls trying to force it LOL

Thanks TreeSmith for your assessment. It seems pretty clear your Stihl saws take abuse and aside from $10 parts (pull cords, tank vents, carb kits) work well. The husky saws all seem to suffer problems, from failure of poor quality parts (oilers, tensioners, chain brakes, mufflers) to maintenance issues (bolts loosening, filters not filtering, etc).
Also, any mention of how well a husky works seems to be overshadowed by its problems or its Stihl brethren: eg the 395xp is a beast but suffers from ____, 576 works almost as well as the 461, the 365 works as well as the 362 but isn't used much. And any mention of problems with Stihl seem to be followed up with mentioning how minor they are or how much abuse they take and still keep going.

You use words like "faultless" and "reliable" and phrases like "go-to saw" and "backbone of this company" to describe the Stihls, and words like "borderline pointless," "stupid," "retarded," "crap," "POS," and "despised" to describe the husky saws. With the Stihl saws doing "99% of the work" I guess those husky saws you're commenting on are just broken or unused extra weight in the truck? From your "pretty unbiased review" it seems pretty clear why people keep buying Stihl; nobody in your outfit likes Husqvarna, nobody wants to use them, they have all kinds of issues, and none of them work as well as the competing Stihl product. Clearly from your perspective the Stihl's are better saws all around. Even your one lonely husky fan boi doesn't like the husky 540 you have and is begging you to rescue him with a Stihl. Haha [emoji1]

But, since you're just a tree service and not a repair shop, probably a lot of the problems come down to dealer support. A good Stihl dealer will fix your saws, and help with preventative maintenance before problems arise. If you have an unknowledgeable husky dealer, he may not even properly fix the problem let alone jump on issues before they creep up. Dealer support is a great reason to prefer Stihl, and it really may be a case of jading the user as to quality differences. Unless of course you're doing all the maintenance on these saws as "the saw guy", in which case the blame can rest with you. [emoji14]

The only stripped tensioner I came across was on a neighbors saw. He would attempt to re-tighten a chain without loosening the bar nuts first. Fighting against the tension on the bar caused the tensioner to strip out by operator error.

My 395 also has a stiff chain brake. I clipped a couple rounds from the end of the spring in the brake mechanism and it's MUCH more usable now. Why didn't husky make it like that I don't know?

The dusty conditions in OZ basically override the centrifugal pre-filter advantage of the husky, which means you can't be as complacent about regular attention to the filter as people are used to elsewhere. The best thing is diligent maintenance of banging out / blowing out the filters. They shouldn't be any worse than the Stihl filters. Husqvarna recommends changing the filter every 30 days, depending on your cutting. Since the Huskies don't get reached for as frequently as the Stihls you might be able to extend that, but with the dusty conditions you cut in maybe you should adhere to it. Filters are cheaper than pistons, cylinders and crank bearings.

Yes, Husky bolts (or any non-serrated bolt) can vibrate loose. I keep blue loctite in my saw bag. Maybe you should too? And I agree with Westcoaster90 that any saw that is regularly used and isn't sitting shouldn't need a carb kit.

I think I've done every 660 carb once now, new diaphrams and metering needles. It wasn't a brand bash, I'm a happy husky owner. It was an honest assessment of the problems I have seen and what I've been told. There are lots of good things about husky and stihl and downsides to both. The boys here don't use huskies as much by choice and they think they give more trouble, that's not my opinion. I spoke to the top climber the other day, he climbs with the 390 and 3120 along with a 660, 461s, 362 and modded 201ts. His words were " I like the huskies but they just go wrong".

The tensioners stripped when used, can't tell you who did it or if they need a bib when they eat but the stihls didn't have stripped tensioners.

Fanboi is a term for people who love something over everything else without reason, chevy/ford fanbois, apple fanbois, there's plenty of stihl fanbois on this site, the one at work is a husky fanboi. He wanted a full set of husky saws and nothing else, now he doesn't want his 540, personally I can't stand it either so that bit probably was biased a bit but true.

They're tree boys, don't think they treat anything gently and when they want to cut some wood they want a saw that works day after day with minimal maintenance. The older ones are fine, the younger ones can be a little heavy handed. The crews also change around as needed so different people can be using another crews saws. A normal days work for at least half the company involves putting mature gum trees through a 1590, 5 days a week, we don't leave logs so there's usually a lot of cutting, and for what it's worth a 660/395xp here runs a 25"

I also described the 365 as faultless, which it has been, I'm knocking the stuff that has issues, not the brand.

Yeah, we can get fine dust here, no matter how sharp a chain is, it annoys me when I read about how superior husqvarna filtration is when I know different. We've spoken about filter oil too, it happens when remembered. You can lead a horse to water...

Maybe despised was a little strong, mostly disliked would be better. I was venting a little annoyance with husky for being very good and rubbish at the same time. It annoys me because I like them

When ever you watch those Alaska reality saws they always have a Stihl with them and they don't look new like the manufacturers are supplying them like ford does with trucks. I have only seen one Husky on that Port Protection show. Now I am NOT saying or starting to join into a brand war, but maybe they have better dealer support in the woods up there also?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

you guys might not like my decision, im looking at a brand new stihl ms 461 i almost got the money up to buy it at 1,089.95
comes with a 20 & 25'' bar carrying case and a chain sharpening kit.
dealer said it is getting replaced soon. always wanted a big saw, heck i might even stick a 16'' bar on it for laughs.

Latest posts

Back