What type of lanyard would you suggest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse Floyd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So please the pic of what I use to climb with. I mainly prune palms with it but have used it on some pine trees while cutting branches back from around various homes. Ive been using a strap that hunters use...I'm not really happy with it. Obviously it's not meant for what I'm using it for. I'm thinking something with a steel core would be better for my application but would like some more input. I do take a saw up the pines if needed. Thanks.
4ef4e3786ca86ec18ea09fe43816131f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

A foot lanyard would be far less cumbersome than your current set up. :rolleyes:

image.jpg

In a more serious vein, am wondering if you actually own a tree climbing saddle and/or any other tree climbing gear not associated with hunting?
Buy a copy of Jepson's "Tree Climbers Companion" and then peruse some of the Arboristsite sponsors catalogs such as TreeStuff.com, WesSpur, Sherrill, etc.

I do own a good saddle and have most of the catalogs you mentioned I got the strap for a job that had to be done and was not going to do it with no safety in mind at all. I have that book also (thank you for suggesting it). I also know that advice or suggestions from people who have whole lot more experience is worth more then going by what they try and sell you in a catalog or what someone says in review of a product. I'm not financially able to just buy everything that looks like it might be "just right" until I find "it". I also am not expecting to be told the perfect what the perfect thing to get is. I want suggestions. I also realize that the proper equipment is not cheap. I will fork out what is necessary but would like some input form those with more extensive knowledge. I have no problem answering questions about my abilities or my equipment but if your going to lean more toward the criticism side of "constructive criticism" then please don't waste your or my time.

Sent from my iPhone

10 different climbers will offer you 10 different opinions. Product reviews on for instance, TreeStuff's website are helpful, imo.
I own a Petzl Grillon, two microcender lanyards, and a CE type lanyard I made, which is new and I haven't tried yet. Grillon is nice, the microcenders are cheap and work fine. One of them is on a steel core lanyard which I personally am not fond of at all, and don't use.

A non critical ;)suggestion would be to post questions on the 101 forum (this one is too far down the page)
Have you used the search function, and typed in "lanyard"?

Constructive criticism noted and appreciated. I'll check out the 101 and do a search. I didn't initially do a search for lanyard because I was sure there would be 1000 things come up. Since I use this apparatus and am pretty sure no one else on here does I still want suggestions. I've looked at every lanyard on all the sites, but the position I'm using it in is pretty different. Maybe I'm over thinking it though.
Thanks for the suggestions. I apologize if I was rude before.

Sent from my iPhone

You are right in that you might have to be more specific re. using the search function.
Microcender or a hip prussik (for a two-in-one lanyard) probably the most inexpensive way to go, and I used a microcender quite happily for about twenty years.
Am pretty sure there are a couple of good threads on the CE lanyard.
Photo is of one I spliced up in my spare time this winter to help avoid going insane from the snow.

image.jpg

Sweet! That looks perfect! I think im gonna pick up a Hitch Climber too. That CE lanyard is so versatile. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Kicked this around myself recently. Ended up going with a diy CEtype landyard

You're welcome, Jesse.
When you have time, check out some You-tube videos on the CE lanyard.

Cheers,
Dave

Hey Jesse, if your order is less than $100, use code SHIPFREE, THEY won't charge shipping, at least that's what I heard from Nick Bonner. Best of Luck

Dave6390 in WI

Back