Not to bad for a Noob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEDDERA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had a bit of a play while I was on R&R cutting Jarrah.

Tried to put into practice a few tips from this site.

And couple of stuff ups as you can see by the uneven top slab.

395 went really well though the homemade mill needs re doing.

Thanks for all the tips made life a lot easier
P1000222.JPG P1000229.JPG

Just get that top slab through a planer and no one will ever know the difference. ;) Looks better than my first time. Hell, it's probably better than some of my more recent times (but that's probably not saying much).

Doesn't matter how long you have been milling we can all make stuff ups :) find someone with a wood wizz near you, will make short work of it.
Bob, don't make me dig up a piece of birds eye jarrah out of my stacks ;) though dark chocolate flame jarrah from around manjimup area is still probably nicer to look at.
For those interested you tend to get superior quality jarrah inland (as opposed to coastal) due to crown not getting twisted by high winds. (Straighter grain etc)

It is premium timber to those of us who mill it for a hobby ;)

Comercially timber with this character is left behind because of the twisted grain. Comercially straight grain is required as jarrah is used as a structural timber.

I don't know what Bob does with his, but mine is probably going into a local brewery as part of a bar. After some kiln time though.

There is quite a lot of "hobbyist" tables made out of timber like these, with very varying quality on the market.

Mostly this kind of "reject" ie craft wood ends up in peoples fire places :(

Back