Lesser Peach Tree borers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have dealt with peach tree borers in the past but this is a new problem.

The lesser attacks the limbs and trunk quite a bit above ground level, unlike regular borers that attack near or below ground level. The regular borers can be dealt with by mounding dirt infused with moth balls around the trunk

Looks like I may lose 1 or 2 of my trees and see them in one of my others (holes extruding gum).

I plan on pruning out and burning some of the branches that are too far gone, and may try using wire to harpoon the grubs in some holes.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Only thing I have been able to find is mention of pheromone traps to detect when the moths are active and spraying the whole tree to keep the moths and eggs in check. Seems labor intensive.

Volcano-ing your trees with soil & moth balls is a new one for me?
Healthy trees are your best defense. Wire poking the borer holes in the fall is effective.
Sex pheromone sticky traps work well on the males, not very labor intensive to hang a few traps.
Dursban (Chlorpyrifos) trunk sprays worked well, however that insecticide was pulled off the market.
Your options are limited.

Lindane can also work, however I wouldn't sell permethrin or lindane application to a customer.
Unless they bought an IPM program, & with that cost truck loads of nice peaches could be had.

Volcano-ing your trees with soil & moth balls is a new one for me?
Healthy trees are your best defense. Wire poking the borer holes in the fall is effective.
Sex pheromone sticky traps work well on the males, not very labor intensive to hang a few traps.
Dursban (Chlorpyrifos) trunk sprays worked well, however that insecticide was pulled off the market.
Your options are limited.

Yes the mothball remedy is an old method that really works. The soil retains the fumes and fumigates the tree trunk. Think about the wool coat in your closet you don't want holes in.

The pheromone disruption route seems to be the best I've found so far. I found some good information on that from people doing research at Cornell

Back