How much is age a factor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_Mike

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member to this site and hoping I could ask you folks a question. There's a short version and a long version:

Short version:
When taking on a new hire, what do you consider too old that you would pass on their application?

Long version:
I've been working in Information Technology off and on for the last 20 years. I truly hate the boring nature of the work and being stuck in a cubicle all day. Every time I get laid off or a contract expires, I end up going back to trade work. Since moving to Colorado I've been doing a lot of residential fire mitigation essentially on a volunteer basis (following a Forest Service plan) and found out I love it.

Felling trees, trimming, splitting and blocking wood, ground cover removal, etc. I actually look forward to getting out of bed in the morning and going to work. I'm at the end of another contract and looking for work. I want to apply at the arborist businesses in the area but the hitch is I'm 51. So the question is am I too old to bother applying? If you saw my application or saw me walk in the room with little experience and gray in my beard would you write me off then and there?

I have the opportunity to change career paths at the moment and I would like to see if this is an option. On the other hand I don't want to waste people's time and bang my head against a wall that won't ever crack. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Happy to answer any and all questions. Sorry about the long first post.

Thanks,
Mike

I work part time for a local tree company that has been in business for over 30 years. The owner is 72 and is fenominal shape. He has told me that he felt he was able to keep up doing field work consistently with a good level of productivity until he was about 60. He stated after that he noticed it in his body much more and that he would not be as productive as a younger guy.

He now is almost entirely sales and consulting.

Young guys with a clean record and a CDL can be hard to come buy.

If you have a CDL and a clean record you could sell yourself as kind of a utility guy, help out with some production, drive a larger log/chip truck or even get involved with injections/chemicals if that interests you.

51 not too old but may be a concern for a company looking to develop someone long term??

Its worth a shot.

We have had 2 60 year old labors the last couple years that out worked everyone else had a 55-58 year old climber that made it look easy. We have a guy who dumps at our shop that is 82 that works 6 days a week out on the crew, not sure how much he does but he is out every single day.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That is a tough question for me,,
In California you are not allowed to asked how old they are,,
The stupid part is you need to make a copy of their ID,,,
Their birthday is on their ID,,how 'lol' is that?
Personally, I think if you are demographically tied to your work zone, and that is all you want to do,, good for you!
But if you think you will sign up with a high production tree company and make good money,,you gotta back it up,
Ah, to be young!!!!!
Jeff :dancing::happybanana:

I'm 52 and have good days and bad but then i had them at 30 too so not really a huge difference imo. I now have a wraptor and what i lost in youthful vigor, I make up in experience so its typically a wash production wise!

I'm 52 and have good days and bad but then i had them at 30 too so not really a huge difference imo. I now have a wraptor and what i lost in youthful vigor, I make up in experience so its typically a wash production wise!

Thank you for the reply ropensaddle. I'm getting great experience now and enjoy learning more every day. Hoping that counts for something. Seems like most things these days, I have to work smarter and think my way through things I used to just muscle my way through. I truly love the work though and hope I can find a way to make it work. Thanks to all who have replied and helped out.

I climb 5 or six days a week, day in day out. I'm 57. Been doing it for over 30 + years. I'm known locally and have more work then l could possibly do. At one point I tried to relocate and sent out a lot of resumes. I was surprised to find out that most companys after finding out my age wanted nothing to do with me.
I don't do production work no more only because its to much work. I do a lot of teçh. Removals and fine pruning. Granted I'm not as fast as I use to be. Thanks to a lot of younger climbers who don't seem to have much enthusiasm for the job l think I'll be working at lest locally for a few more years.

If you have kept yourself if decent physical condition and aren't packing around 40 + 100 extra pounds you can be very productive. 50 isn't old.

Send me a PM and I can give you a good contact number for the type of work you are looking for.

About 20 years ago I applied for a Park Ranger position in KY after retiring from the military. My score of 98 on the written test was the highest on the register . At the time I could still do 60 push-ups in 2 minutes and 50 sit-ups in another 2 minutes. Viet Nam and Desert Storm veteran. Was cleared for a Top Secret classification. College educated. Member of MENSA. Law required that I be afforded 3 interviews before I could be legally dropped from the register. I was 50 at the time and guess what, never got hired. I wonder if my age was a factor?

I was going to apply for an equipment operators' job with the Forest Service for running cat on fire lines. They won't hire you if you are over 37 for those jobs even if you can perform the required physical fitness test (pack test). This makes ZERO sense to me. I don't understand how this practice is legal.

I know there are certain aviation jobs which I am statutorily disqualified from based on age. Whatever. It saved me the trouble of applying.

A lot of the more successful small business owners I know have an informal policy of hiring people older than they are and paying them a premium for their knowledge. Younger, drug free, responsible individuals with reliable transportation are few and far between and owners are recognizing that. One owner told me he went from headaches to employees as he hired more mature individuals. Don't let age deter you from applying!

Latest posts

Back