Planting a new tree directly in an old rotted-out stump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Clark

Reaction score
Does anyone have knowledge regarding planting new trees directly in rotted-out stumps?

So far I have two data points:
(a) A friend said a friend of his did this, and that the new tree is doing great 20 years later.
(b) I found a photo of this happening in nature via google, and little else.

My specific situation is:
* 4' diameter tree was cut down several days ago.
* Tree is totally rotted out in the center, 2.5' diameter.
* Rotted out center seems like a really good compost pile. Sort of between mulch and soil, springy feel. A massive number of earthworms etc.
* Center "compost" goes down at least 3'
* Drainage test shows a rate of more than 2' per hour. Speed due to hole to street about 1.5' below compost. So the bottom 1.5' of compost is presumably slower draining.
* There is no possibility of planting a replacement tree anywhere else.
* Zone 6b / New England / Boston, Sun with the exception of some shade due to another tree in the morning for a few hours.

What if any tree do you think could be planted in this situation and have a chance at survival, even if not for normal life span, for say 5 years or more?

How do you think the "old tree compost" should be amended for that tree?

Plant new tree so the top of the rootball is where the top of compost is currently, or remove 1.5' of compost and plant at ground level?

It will also have a tendency to dry out very quickly and any moisture in the rotted wood will not be available to the tree.

If you really want to plant in it, treat it like planting in a ceramic planter on your deck. Take out all the rotted wood material and replace with proper soil. Choose a plant or shrub that won't outgrow it's site. Monitor frequently in the summer for drought stress.

Latest posts

Back