3/8 to 325 chain swap on Pulan 5020AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueacre

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a nearly new Poulan Pro 5020AV with a 20 inch bar and 3/8 pitch type 72 chain that I bought last winter and only used for 3 or 4 hours total. I will be using it for cutting about 10 or 12 face cords of firewood a year for personal use.

A friend of mine is switching to a pellet stove and sold his Poulan chainsaw - not sure what model it was but it was running a 20 inch bar and .325 pitch chain. He gave me 2 brand new 20 inch Poulan bars and 6 new chains that he had purchased a few years ago - 3 of the chains are Poulan and 3 are Oregon - all of them are .325 pitch.

I would like to swap the sprocket on my 5020AV chainsaw to run the .325 chain so I can use these 6 chains. Can anyone provide advice on what Poulan 325 sprocket will fit properly on the 5020 ? Do I need to replace the clutch as well or is there a 325 sprocket that will fit the same existing clutch?

Any help and info appreciated
thanks
Gary

You will need a drum & sprocket for echo cs400 cs440 & cs3900, this works for some, it did not work for me as the drum was to thin and the clutch expanded the drum out into the brake band causing friction, there maybe others that work.
You will also need the .325 bar. No other poulan sprocket fits, this has been well hashed over on this and other forums.

John

I found that a Stihl 031 drum will fit the 5020av clutch. It won't pinch together if you use a small enough lock washer between the clutch plate/washer and the drum/bearing. The lock washer needs to fit snugly around the shaft so it can rest firmly against that lip. There's one more odd piece that makes it work....a 10mm wrist pin bearing because there's too much slop with the thinner 031 clutch bearing.
You'll want to red loc-tite the outer edge of the threads after you tighten it down.

Be careful with the bars. Most of the older Poulans used the K041 mount and the 5020 uses the K095 mount. You will have oiling issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In one of the PP5020 threads here at AS (there are quite a few) someone posted a photo of the .325 set up. I read it a few days ago, but can't recall which thread has the photos & info.

Hopefully the info will get posted in this thread.

I saw that also, there were pics supposedly by Jeremiah Johnson, but I saw no info, just the pics of an Archer .325 rim, I'd like to know more about that also.

John

I saw that also, there were pics supposedly by Jeremiah Johnson, but I saw no info, just the pics of an Archer .325 rim, I'd like to know more about that also.

John

He probably posted the details at the other chainsaw site where also he hangs out (he might be the founder).

If the Poulan uses standard sprockets, one of these Oregon sprockets should fit.
Just measure you sprocket hole to figure out if you are on a regular drum or a small drum. Then buy the corresponding sprocket for your needs.

975bc923cc1bdaf541ffc36eb3c3b1ef.jpg

NOT a rim set-up,.......but this is the part number for a .325 spur drum.

574 52 15 01

irritating that Oregon has a rim set-up for the discontinued 295/4620 series of saws (41726x),....but nothing for the pp5020 and pr5020

Latest posts

Back