Firewood Estimation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I got for $400:

That pile produced 15 truckloads when cut into 18" lengths. All the logs shown are about 100" long and together they filled three bunks on a truck picker before they were dropped at the site. Most was dry cottonwood from tree tops, 6" to 14" dia., that the sawmill had little use for. I processed it all into campfire wood bundles for the campers at the parks. Burned beautifully.

So, does that tree shown by OP look like it would produce 17 truckloads? :rolleyes:

That pile produced 15 truckloads when cut into 18" lengths. All the logs shown are about 100" long and together they filled three bunks on a truck picker before they were dropped at the site. Most was dry cottonwood from tree tops, 6" to 14" dia., that the sawmill had little use for. I processed it all into campfire wood bundles for the campers at the parks. Burned beautifully.

So, does that tree shown by OP look like it would produce 17 truckloads? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

Las Vegas is desert, enough

Lucky you, las Vegas Is desert, I missed out on 17 large olive trees this weekend free for the taking cut up and ready to load.
Hardwood is 250-400 a somewhat dry 1/2 ass cord
Id like to still get that mesquite in 18" cuts.

The only way to make your money out of that deal is to cut it up into 3-4" chunks and sell it to gullible grillers and bbq gurus in the north east. I saw roughly a 1 cubic foot bag of the stuff going for 10 bucks at the big box store.

The only way to make your money out of that deal is to cut it up into 3-4" chunks and sell it to gullible grillers and bbq gurus in the north east. I saw roughly a 1 cubic foot bag of the stuff going for 10 bucks at the big box store.

I have a bunch of it now, I got freemesquite.JPG No rush, guy is not sure if hes going to sell it for waht i offered. ha good luck

The way I rough figure how much wood there is usually in normal conditions, a tree that is 22"-24" at the base will usually produce a cord, now of course there can be other circumstances to make it - or + a little, but that's how I estimate wood. It usually comes out pretty close.

The way I rough figure how much wood there is usually in normal conditions, a tree that is 22"-24" at the base will usually produce a cord, now of course there can be other circumstances to make it - or + a little, but that's how I estimate wood. It usually comes out pretty close.
Got it!

People are wack jobs. Here's a good example; called a guy on craigslist yesterday about a "performance dual exhaust system" for sale for $100, says he paid $300, never used. He starts telling me, "IDK what my ad says but it's a performance muffler", so I say, oh what brand? "Oh I'm not sure but it's a single in dual out performance muffler" what does it fit? " it's for a Pontiac G6, these are $300 new ya know". OK buddy, good luck selling your "performance exhaust" pfft, diot.

Point is, people don't know what they have an usually want way too much money for it. I wouldn't offer too much for something like this because I can get logs delivered to my door for about $100 per cord. When you put that into perspective and consider your extra cost of having to truck it the price drops more. And when you offer to remove it at their expense for $50 you get a funny look.

I'd guess maybe 1/10 of a cord, if that.

When we haul 9-10 cord loads it's around 40-50 logs, they are anywhere from 10" to over 20", and around 45-50ft long.

Now I've seen little boxes of misquite selling for $10 at the store, some people get their panties damp over the stuff for the BBQER I guess?
Myself... "Taste the meat, not the heat!"

Maybe if it's that hard to come by it commands that price. Same on how a 5,000$ saw log might make $50 of firewood.

No disrespect but cottonwood and mesquite aren't comparable .One wood is considered primo cooking wood and the other is low grade firewood.I get wood free and would take a small stash of mesquite over a large load of cottonwood.
That being said I wouldn't pay more than $50 for that mesquite.

So, does that tree shown by OP look like it would produce 17 truckloads? :rolleyes:

Mesquite is very expensive around here because of transportation cost. Even with those high prices, that bush is worth no more then who's willing to come get it for free.

I agree that cottonwood is not in the same league as most hardwoods, but it works well for campfires and open pit burning. Also makes good kindling and is very easy to light. Basswood, willow, and poplar are right there with it. So far I have added up my revenue back on that $400 I spent. The total is just shy of $1,300 and I have yet another two truckloads waiting in the lurch. If those go out by October, I should get about $1,200 gross profit.

The interesting thing about this is that had the wood been oak or hickory, I doubt that the gross profit would have been any higher because of the higher initial cost. Campfire burners do not seem to care if they are burning premium hardwood. They want flames, lighter weight bundles, wood that lights easily, and a fire that does not burn all night. Cottonwood delivers that.

Back