the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be sticking with the brand that you can still get genuine parts for 30 years after it was made. There are only a few manufacturers that still in the world we live in do that, Not worthy of a winge actually.
Thangst

It took less than 24 hours to get a brake band out of Sydney for my 20 year old 4035 makita. The o38 is pretty much a current model still, albeit with a few mods. A 381 band would have fitted (there was a complete saw sitting on the shelf) but no spares. Poor.

It took less than 24 hours to get a brake band out of Sydney for my 20 year old 4035 makita. The o38 is pretty much a current model still, albeit with a few mods. A 381 band would have fitted (there was a complete saw sitting on the shelf) but no spares. Poor.

And not only that but you can order OEM Dolmar parts online out of the US for a bargain, even with the current exchange rate. With the varying ability of Stihl dealers (Benny at the top) you can never take one saw brand and good service for granted. It is far too variable. Some dealers make you want to come back, others make you want to shop online or even change saw brands.

Go the 7901. A Stihl 381 won't hold a candle against a 7901. Not a hope in hell. 7901 is a German built pro saw that will easily run a 32" buried in our hardwoods. Even if the 381 was a grand the Makita (made by Dolmar) is still better value. You can't even buy a Stihl MS261 (50cc) for the price of the 79cc Makita. In fact I can't even believe the 381's are so expensive for what you get...

I have been back to discuss the Makita DCS7901, it actually comes with a 24" bar already but the dealer will throw in a 28" Tsumura roller tip bar and three chains, a spare tip for the bar and another spare chain for the 24" bar it comes with for a grand total of $1525.00 as long as I am willing to allow it to be used for a quick demo outside once it comes in for a first service(no one around here uses Makita much apart from the smaller saws).

So pending the result of an upcoming trip to the accountant I will be a Makita owner and the young bloke down the road will be offered the 038 for a couple of cartons, it has served our family well and if the 381 was still available for the price it was last year($1200) I would have had another one.

I have been back to discuss the Makita DCS7901, it actually comes with a 24" bar already but the dealer will throw in a 28" Tsumura roller tip bar and three chains, a spare tip for the bar and another spare chain for the 24" bar it comes with for a grand total of $1525.00 as long as I am willing to allow it to be used for a quick demo outside once it comes in for a first service(no one around here uses Makita much apart from the smaller saws).

So pending the result of an upcoming trip to the accountant I will be a Makita owner and the young bloke down the road will be offered the 038 for a couple of cartons, it has served our family well and if the 381 was still available for the price it was last year($1200) I would have had another one.

Next step, depending on what conditions you cut in, is to have a crack at the heavy duty filter kit too. Only filter on the market that matches it is the HD2 from Stihl. Oh and an extra $200 for a 28" Tsumura and spare chain isn't a good deal mate.

The two Stihl dealers I use rank a low 3rd in comparison to my local mower shop...the guys at the mower shop are fantastic, their prices I can swallow and the mechanic and everyone there is just happy to give customer satisfaction...

They live in the real world but the Stihl dealers I use seam to have lost site of that and seam to think it's more important to be an Elite Stihl dealers than putting the customer first.

The two Stihl dealers I use rank a low 3rd in comparison to my local mower shop...the guys at the mower shop are fantastic, their prices I can swallow and the mechanic and everyone there is just happy to give customer satisfaction...

They live in the real world but the Stihl dealers I use seam to have lost site of that and seam to think it's more important to be an Elite Stihl dealers than putting the customer first.

Some of Stihl's pricing is also getting out of hand and this has nothing to do with the dealers either.

mine up here is next to ,you know what, dont give a **** and 2/3 weeks to get stuff, they wait for a big order
So if i need some think ill ask on here, cheaper and quicker
But my husky dealer is really great, he will even work on the stihl,s for me

Some of Stihl's pricing is also getting out of hand and this has nothing to do with the dealers either.

Some of the priceing on both sides of the fence makes the mind boggle but if you want still parts benny is the man every time I've called and orderd parts there in my hand in a couple of days max no ******** no hassle and the man knows his product like no one else I know

Some of the priceing on both sides of the fence makes the mind boggle but if you want still parts benny is the man every time I've called and orderd parts there in my hand in a couple of days max no ******** no hassle and the man knows his product like no one else I know

Yeah he needs compulsary urine testing I think for his level of service.

my weekend ride GXL 80 series 1993 5 sp no turbo nil mods 269clicks given us faultless service but i'm enjoying granny's 220 - 93 merc atm as i's paying the reg and cover i may as well drive it

View attachment 444759
Ive got the 94 80 series non turbo with 437.000 on it, stock std, bloody nice

Owning a Dremel does not a porter maketh.
waaahhtt my chinga's 5200 will zing one of these days i've done heaps to the ports i do have to still do a gasket delete from about the .040 that its on now
3 pre and 3 post

Attachments

• IMG_20140827_193700.jpg
    IMG_20140827_193700.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20140827_193719.jpg
    IMG_20140827_193719.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20140827_193745.jpg
    IMG_20140827_193745.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20150330_234434_642.jpg
    IMG_20150330_234434_642.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150330_234442_150.jpg
    IMG_20150330_234442_150.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20150330_234459_382.jpg
    IMG_20150330_234459_382.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 11
waaahhtt my chinga's 5200 will zing one of these days i've done heaps to the ports i do have to still do a gasket delete from about the .040 that its on now
3 pre and 3 post

But seriously do you have stickers and T Shirts? Talk to the hand if you don't :innocent:

A 7901, never heard of them - google says a 79cc saw, with a 32" bar in eucalypts - I must have missed the tongue in cheek.....lol

JMcF, 30 years out of a saw and you give the brand away, crikey mate I find that hard to please, anyway good luck with the new one and keen
to hear how it goes for you.

Back