stihl 066 vs old stihl 076 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl cutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello my name is justin an i am new 2 the forum but not to the woods ive ben cutting fire wood bout 15 years an did some tree topping work an my favorite logging ive did the yard bucking the logs 2 grade an topped an trimmed an even some timber felling. I currently have an 066 with a 32in bar and
.404 chain its a little over kill here im bout 2 step down to a 28in i love old saws as a hobby i was wondering how the old metal case 076 holds 2 the 066 magnum i have now?

I have an 066 and 075.....the 066 hands down is the boss...the 075 does have its place but bucking logs 36" or less the 066 will out cut it 2:1
I have an 041 non av i love that saw my uncle bought it new in early 70's an used it every weekend he cut every years wood with it an cleaned up the place 2 build his house with it in 1980 an used it 2 cut falln trees an brush besids the winters firewood until 3 years ago he bought a 310 stihl an gave my dad the 041 to junk an dad putvit in shed an i recently started getn it goin it still has almost 150 lbs compression and i got it running like a champ wit a new 3/8 full skip chisel chain an 20" bar i love that saw

An 076 with a properly sharpened chained can actually cut quite well. The 066 "sounds" a lot faster and is probably more fun to use as it is a more modern and lightweight design. But for milling my choice definitely would be the 076.

No idea why the videos look small and crappy, or big and grainy. Thy didn't used to look either of those ways.

Both saws are running 3/8" 8t. 28" on the 066, 25" on the 076 Super.

The 075/076 really prefers a longer bar. We got great results out of them with a 41" bar, 3/8" skip chain, and an 8t rim, on those occasions when a long bar was needed to process up a big trunk. The rest of the time, the 066 made more sense and was a lot easier on the operator.

No idea why the videos look small and crappy, or big and grainy. Thy didn't used to look either of those ways.

Both saws are running 3/8" 8t. 28" on the 066, 25" on the 076 Super.

The 075/076 really prefers a longer bar. We got great results out of them with a 41" bar, 3/8" skip chain, and an 8t rim, on those occasions when a long bar was needed to process up a big trunk. The rest of the time, the 066 made more sense and was a lot easier on the operator.

Thanks for the video i wana 076 an a 09 also i love big stihl saws ill nver use either as an evey day use saw but i love old saws lol. I have several homelite an stihl an a Poulan an a vintage muccolulla mac 15 its slow as crao but tourque is fair the xl12s are great saws also i evn logged for a while with an old red an black xl12 lol it did great while my stihl was down alil harder 2 fall bigger stuff but gv it its time an keep it sharp an they will suprise u

I had a good running 076 super and my 066 would more than run circles around it with a 36" bar and with a 42" bar the 076 was even more gutless. For the size and weight, most other big saws of that era will run circles around one of those series Stihls.

Well I had a well respected, long time Stihl dealer that has served loggers everyday for years the said it "was operating as it should" and found no problem. It had a clean piston and strong compression when pulling the starter.

Back