Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pretty much expect to head to the east side for fire work, though at first I'd prefer to stay local... more familiar ground and what not.

Just a few thoughts...

If you want the faller's certification, register to get in an S-212 class now, and expect it to be in the spring. And don't expect to come out a a Class I (formerly Class C) faller. And I'm not current on the requirements to be a Dozer op in Washington or with USFS/BLM, but CALFIRE requires that you hold a Class A driver's license to be a dozer operator.

And when it come to familiar ground, it's honestly pretty much a wash. If you have a good crew boss he/she and a spotter can take care of you most of the time. You just have to keep your head up.

Thanks, Though I can't see why a class A cdl has **** all to do with driving a Cat? Unless they expect you to drive the low boy too... which frankly is stupid...

I've always had to drive truck too. It makes sense to mobilize the unit. You tie up fewer people just moving equipment so more people can actually do work. And their covering their butt saying that you have it so that if you do have an accident in a Cat they can say you were licensed to operate something that heavy on public land.

Down here hiring someone to transport your cat is expensive. They also will have to go through Cal Fire's preseason inspection, which is usually at a Cal Trans yard or sometimes at a Cal Fire dozer station which you will have to pay them to attend. Your dozer is inspected at the same time. There may be a requirement for your transport driver to take the annual safety training which you would also have to pay for plus a full day's pay.
Some of these questions may be answered on the CalDOG website.
http://www.californiadozeroperatorsgroup.org/

Almost all of our staff are cross trained. But, since we are a small rural department, we feel we have to. Our customers don't call and ask "Is there a wildland crew on today?" Just like they don't ask if we have an EMT available. They call on what is most likely one of the worst days of their lives, and want us to make it better. Most of the time, we do. Except when it's a neighbor calling in the neighbor next door's burn barrel. Then it's a split result, someone's day get's better, someone else, not so much. But, since Burn barrels became illegal in Washington 15 years ago, and burning garbage has been illegal since 1967, I suspect it's time for people to learn the rules. We try to educate customers, but if they are uncooperative, we just pass it on to the appropriate authorities. Luckily, we are not in charge of writing tickets.

Just got back from the east side; turns out I was only needed for the training phase. We red-carded 320 National Guard over 4 days and I have to say I was impressed as hell by the Guard folks. If I was 21 years old, based on this week's experience, I'd be signing up right now.

I've worked with the Guard before, generally pretty squared away. They were in camp last year at Carlton, to help with security in the local area.

I assume to get that many through, you did it the old fashioned way, classroom and a field day, as opposed to the new online class? I'm not at all impressed with the online learning tools. I think we may go back to traditional classroom in the future.

I assume to get that many through, you did it the old fashioned way, classroom and a field day, as opposed to the new online class? I'm not at all impressed with the online learning tools. I think we may go back to traditional classroom in the future.

That is exactly correct, and I agree with you 100%.

Oh Hell no!
Let it burn, way past due, most of the Sierras needs burnt.
That urban/forest interface is a *****.
It is a Butte though, barreling right along, 50k in 48 hours, that would be something to watch.

Latest posts

Back