Looking for a new saw-Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again everyone.
I just got back and missed the posts here about dealers on this forum.

I apologize and ask for forgiveness for this newbie mistake

I did buy the pre-mixed quarts of fuel to start
50:1 for the break in as recommended but I will probably go with the suggestions here for 40:1 subsequently
I grabbed a file so I can try to sharpen.

I do have a Harbor Freight electric chain sharpener if I can figure out the angle and pitch

Did you get the 2255? No big deal on the sponsor, i've only bought 1 of mine from a sponsor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as non-ethanol gas, there is none within 30 miles of me except for the quart cans I saw at TS[/QUOTE]
I don't care what saw you purchase, if you store it with ethanol gas in it you will get to purchase another one. Either drive the 30 miles and mix you own, or buy it in cans 40:1. If you store your saw with ethanol gas in it you will eventually not be able to get it to run. This rule applies to all saws.

I know better but...I have to bite! Why 40:1 instead of 50:1? Is 40:1 recommended for new Jonsered's?

Blackstone, your sharpener should work just fine as you said, when you set it up correctly. I have been using a cheapy "Grips" brand for years and it sure beat hello out of paying someone to keep the loops sharp. Congrats on your new saw purchase.

50:1 is recommended and that's what I bought.

Several people recommended using more rather than less oil.
Thus the 40:1

I hate to go against manufacturer recommendations but these guys are experts

50:1 is recommended and that's what I bought.

Several people recommended using more rather than less oil.
Thus the 40:1

I hate to go against manufacturer recommendations but these guys are experts
It will run perfectly fine on 50:1 but 40:1 is cheap insurance and a little peace of mind.

Thanks, again, for all the patient helpful info.

As I wrap this part of my journey up, I last question (I hope).

Any suggestions on what I can do with the mixed ethanol gas I have?

I have about 1-1/2 gallons.

Would it hurt to put it in my truck?

Go ahead and run it in your truck, just put it in when your gas tank is already reasonably full so it is diluted more.

Don't get too worked up about not using ethanol-free gas if it's a real hassle to get, but only keep enough fuel mixed up on hand that you're going to use within the next several weeks and don't put a saw up for a long time with gas kept in the saw's tank. If you have some left over that you don't think you'll need within the next month or so, dump it in your truck.

As for the oil, start off with using a 2 stroke oil that has a JASO FD certification or has wording on the label like "meets or exceeds JASO FD standard" as thats the sign of a decent oil compatible with your saw. You don't have to go to a saw shop, Home Depot, TSC, and Ace Hardware for example all sell appropriate full- or semi-synthetic oil that are appropriate and usually these oils also have a fuel stabilizer which helps keep your mix fresh. There are good oils out there that don't have the JASO FD rating, but start simple, you can research here and read up later if you want to learn more about oils.

Thanks for that, curmudgeon.

That's a good suggestion to mix a little less.
And I feel a little better about using ethanol.

I read the manual on the new Jonsered and they say to use it.
The quarts of pre-mix no ethanol are expensive at $32/gallon.

I can think of some reasons to hunt for no ethanol gas.
My 49 Cub seems to run ok on ethanol but would probably be better if it had the stuff it was designed for and my old Stihl trimmer and Homelite saw would be better off.

I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions.

I'm full of....

dumb questions.

After I get the diagnosis on the Husky, I'll be back.

My dad burned up his 066 by running outboard 2-cycle oil; he didn't even get half way through the bottle before the piston/cylinder were scorched. Outboard engines run at far cooler temps than air-cooled chainsaws so outboard oil contains a different (cheaper) additive package which is insufficiently resistant to high temps.

Most chainsaws are run on ethanol gas and do not self-destruct at 10 hours, so I'm skeptical of that being the cause. I suppose it could bugger the carb diaphrams or tank vent or fuel filter in just the right way to let the saw run in a severe lean condition but in my experience once ethanol gels in a carb, vent, or filter, the saw simply won't run well enough to cut. The biggest problem with ethanol is when it sits in the saw for long periods so prior to storage just empty the tank and run the fuel system dry by idling the saw until it quits. Don't free rev it like a horror movie psycho!

Thanks for that info, Log Hogger.

Lots of stuff I wish I'd have known before

I swear I'm stupid and inept.

After running the new saw for several minutes a couple days ago, it won't start now.

I'm sure I followed the starting instructions precisely.

I'm using the pre-mixed 50:1 Jonsered gas.

I'm beginning to think it's cheaper to buy firewood

Back