MY FIRST SAW! WHAT WAS YOURS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was a 272XP now Im up to a MS660 west coast package with a 36" bar. Still have the old 272 for limbing and small stuff.

Husky 40. Beat the **** out it for years. The abuse and neglect that saw suffered was epic, but it just kept working. It was a tank. Finally it just... fell apart.

(Web pic)
103237716_614.jpg

My first saw is a STIHL ms211c.
Not the most power, but first gas chainsaw. It WAY!! Out does an electric saw.

When I was about 13, my Grandpa bought me a little Homelite XL top handle saw. I loved that thing. I've since moved on to bigger and better, but I saw one on Craigslist last winter for $30, so I bought it. I brought it home, and cleaned it up, and found this thing didn't have a scratch on it. The fuel looked like yellow milk, so I drained it, rinsed the tank, filled it with new fuel, and it started on about the 5th pull, and it runs like a top. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, I use it occasionally for limbing, but I mostly just keep it for nostalgia.

My first saw was a 14" McCullough Mac 3200. Got a great discount on it at the local lumberyard, a guy bought it took it home and made three cuts with it and brought it back to trade for a 16". So basically I got a brand new saw for about half price. Used that little saw for small trimming jobs and cutting firewood for a long time, until someone thought they needed it out of my truck more than I did. Just recently bought a Stihl MS170 for my bucket saw, and looking at making the jump to a Husqvarna 372XP for my ground saw. My little MS170 is a bit small at times, but when I'm up in the bucket truck I love the light weight and the small size.

Bryce

My first is a MS460 and came with a 36" bar and round ground chain. Also set up for 32" with square ground chain which I prefer because I can use my uncle's silvey stand up grinder for more precise sharpening.

Just joining the group and enjoying everyone's discussions and experience. Safe cutting men

My first saw was a 14" McCullough Mac 3200. Got a great discount on it at the local lumberyard, a guy bought it took it home and made three cuts with it and brought it back to trade for a 16". So basically I got a brand new saw for about half price. Used that little saw for small trimming jobs and cutting firewood for a long time, until someone thought they needed it out of my truck more than I did. Just recently bought a Stihl MS170 for my bucket saw, and looking at making the jump to a Husqvarna 372XP for my ground saw. My little MS170 is a bit small at times, but when I'm up in the bucket truck I love the light weight and the small size.

Bryce

Put a aluminum plate on the bottom of the handle all the way to the front vibration mount. The damn 170's have a weak handle and it really sucks if you're stretched out and loose throttle because of it flexing.

the 1st saws i used was 024 020 034 076 090 but did not own just worked for their owner my 1st paid for saw was 026 in 1989 cost $800 bucks,,, i still got it & going strong i should give it a reco fix tidy back to OEM mount it on my shelf it alone must of made me at guess $80k+ so 100% return on investment.

Ok I'll play here. 046 about 20 yrs ago. Kinda funny story though. The fella bought it to slab round bales with the 36in bar. Didn't work to we'll anyway he needed a piece of equipment repaired and was a COD customer so I footed the repair for the saw about 200 bucks if I remember right . I was a happy young feller I'm tellin ya . Still have the saw and still my prettiest. [emoji3]

I really wanted a saw, so looked on Kijiji for ideas.
Saw a xl76 and fell in love.
something about the old saw lines.
Now I have way too many and mostly Pioneers.
My second fav would be my 1200a.
Its a saw thing, most dont understand...

Back