Echo cs400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkman31

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
$20 yard sale find. Cleaned the carbon from the exhaust port mod the muffler and tuned it just a bit. It had an 18in bar that I think was over kill so I put this 14in on it much better now. I was some what impressed with it.image.jpg

Its a great saw! I run a 16" and 18" bars on it depending on what i cut. And it has no issue cutting. Idles so nice. Always go through it and run sharp chains. Cant beat em!!!!

That looks like it's hardly been used...you suck!

Make sure to take the limiters off the carb screws and richen it up a bit...and if you are feeling up to it a muffler mod will really wake these saws up.

Why bother with a cs400 ? A husky 435 and 440 are cheaper(new) and over a pound lighter as well as way way way faster in the cut. I know because I had a muff mod cs400 and cs306. Utter junk. The pro echos are a different story however. No offense to anyone, just IMHO real world experience. You should list it on craigslist for 200$ and get a real saw.

Where are you getting those specs?
Everything I've seen has the Echo within 2-3 oz and they're about the same price...

Why bother with a cs400 ? A husky 435 and 440 are cheaper(new) and over a pound lighter as well as way way way faster in the cut. I know because I had a muff mod cs400 and cs306. Utter junk. The pro echos are a different story however. No offense to anyone, just IMHO real world experience. You should list it on craigslist for 200$ and get a real saw.
if he bought a 435 or 440 huskies he would be getting a poulan,,, yep,, they are poulans in drag,,,, not a thing wrong with the 400 especially for 20 bucks,,, hell,, i would give him 200 for it right now,, i have cut many many cords with a 370 and 400,, there is nothing wrong with them at all,, they are good saws,, check out my 400

I don't know what you consider a real saw but I'd say I have the Real saw thing covered! With that said I have ran this saw several afternoons after work and I'd still have to say not for sale!

Not all Homeowner saws are bad just don't compare them with something they are not (pro saws). I consider a real saw one that has a mag case and decent power to weight ratio. You get what you pay for.

I'd be willing to bet your one of those that run your saw at 12000 RPM in the cut rather than where it should around 9000 RPM, Echo will never win a race running at 12000 rpm but no offence but a husky 435 is not in the same league as a Echo CS400 when RUN right in cutting speed, yes it has more RPM but not much torque. Steve

Not all Homeowner saws are bad just don't compare them with something they are not (pro saws). I consider a real saw one that has a mag case and decent power to weight ratio. You get what you pay for.

And if you know what your doing a Echo CS 400 new for around $200 + is one of the best buys out there along with a Echo CS590 for $350 + but you do have to know how to muff modd and tune a saw, plus how to run one. No love here for the Echo CS500p, gutless compared to the CS510, 520 or 530 saws. Steve

Actually It was tuned with tach to around 12500 out of the cut four stroking. Cliff R has A very good thread on the 435 outrunning the 370/400. It's been proven not justy me but other people too. I don't hate echo, their pro line is great. I just think their homeowner line is lacking.

Don't think Cliff R has a CS400 just a CS370 or 2 which don't run near as good as A CS400, there is NOTHING lacking about a well tuned CS400 , I've sold a lot of them to my sawmill customers who were really impressed by how they run and not one of them owned a Echo before, just Husky or Stihl. Tuned at 12500 you still might be bumping the rev limiter and actually could be real lean, with the CS400 you have to start way rich and gradually lean it out until it cuts the fastest in bigger wood at the proper RPM around 8500 to 9000 RPM not 12000 as it does nothing at high RPM. Steve

Back