Broken Log Splitter- Yard Machine by MTD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

part time splitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve read a lot of good info on the site and hope I’m not asking a question that might have been asked before and i couldnt find a "splitter" section so here goes. Looking to get some advice on a 21 Ton Yard Machine by MTD log splitter with a SpeeCo pump and a Energy Valve, Briggs Quantum LSQ 6.5hp. I’ve worked it hard and now I broke something. I’d appreciate any help. The other night I was splitting and the valve was making a ringing noise so I figured it was going out. The next night it had a lot less power and the ram stopped mid stroke and wont move now. The valve don’t make the ringing noise anymore. So, as I’m looking it over I noticed the pump was wet from oil and when I pulled the rope to turn the motor over the Pump shaft did not move and was missing a set screw! So I’m wondering if the pump seized and the screw sheared? Or did it just come out and that’s why I have no power? Why would the valve ring? Sounded like a bearing. How do you test the pump and valve? Thx in advance guys.

How is the pump coupled to the motor? Normally it would have a keyway and the setscrews just hold the coupler in place.

Looks like the set screw fell out along with the key. The shaft is probably slipping badly causing your lack of power.

Im wondering if i have to drain the fluid to pull the pump shaft put of the coupling to see if the keyway is in there. Cant imagine how it even got out. Could the pump have seized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need to drain the fluid to pull the pump away from the engine.

The set screw is what locks the key to keep it from moving. If the set screw loosened up and fell out the key most likely worked its way out. Without the key, the shaft will spin in the coupling.

Replace the key and set screw and try running it.

Yup that was it Mark, set screw must of came out then the keyway wiggled loose. Cant find a keyway online hopefully i can find one at the hardware store tmrw. Any ideas on that?

Take the buggered up half of the coupler with you and get a new replacement. That screw hole is messed up and won't retain a new screw. They should have that size in stock. They're a common item.

The "keyway" is the slot in the crankshaft. What you want is a "woodruff key" or "key". It is very possible the one that came out is lying on top of the splitter frame, it didn't likely go far. It may help provide a clue as to the correct size.

I would doubt that it is a woodruff type key which is a half moon shape and because of that shape would not wiggle out unless sheared ,more likely just a standard square key about 1/4". That type could easily migrate out.

ok, well the key is a moon shape, i bought the only kind they had, the square of course, put it in but theres to much play between the 2 couplings, ran it anyways and it works now, but still WAY LOW ON POWER like before. Could the Pump be on its way out? i dont have gauges to check pressures. Should i just replace it? hate to spend the money not knowing though.

Hi all, I’ve read a lot of good info on the site and hope I’m not asking a question that might have been asked before and i couldnt find a "splitter" section so here goes.

You didn't look hard enough, there IS a firewood section that covers all kinds of splitter problems...

SR

I dont think so triptester, it looks like it has little tabs hanging off that seem to hand down. appears to be good. i'm thinking the pump is just done with.

i'm thinking the pump is just done with.
It may be but I wouldn't throw in the towel until you try the correct woodruff key. It's possible if you're using a standard square keyway that the pump is not being driven properly. If the shaft slips it will appear low on power or no power at all.

Mark E, when the motor turns against the pump shaft, there shouldn't be anymore play, should there? i mean it pushes against the shaft and the pump is working, no slipping , just so low of power now it wont even split ANYTHING now. Since i bought it used last year the power has decrease dramatically.there are signs of leaking from the pump and last nite i ran it and could see what i think is smoke coming out of the top of the pump. if it wasnt smoke it must be a fine mist of oil, not sure. will look at it some more tonite. thx for everybody s help

Latest posts

Back