Recommend me a Log Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 4-way wedge for our DHT, it really knocks out the splits in a short amount of time. Everything 8-14" or so in diameter, gets split on the 4 way. Unless it's elm, most splits don't need a full cycle to split. With straighter grained wood, maybe a few inches into the wood and it's in 4 splits. I keep the large rounds for vertical mode. If I encounter knotty stuff, it takes 2 seconds to change over to the single wedge.

That SS is a good lookin rig.....I gota give it that. NO doubt my gf can handle the splitting. She pulled a 454 out of a 82 dually for me while I was at work last summer.

We have the money for it. Especially if we were to use it "commercially". We also got two boys age 9/7 that will need cash flow here ina few years.

Yes Im positive that the DHT 22T would suit us fine for $1000 bucks and last many, many years with general maintenance. But were movin to Colorado to enjoy life and if I waste a weekend splitting wood when I could be mountain biking/hiking/skiing, whatever i would have gladly spent that extra coin on the SS VS the DHT.
If you're on the fence...buy a Super Split, never have to look back. I guarantee it. Buy the last splitter you will ever have, and ever need. Be done with it. It's a bad ass machine. If your ol' lady can pull an engine...I think you're set my man, I think you'll be more than happy, overwhelmed actually, with what a Super Split will do for you folks.

Do yall got the 22Ton or the bigger one?
Ours is a 27 ton. I don't have a super split, but I do think one would have struggled with the wood I processed last year. The vertical option is also a backsaver.

I would feel a 4way on a 22t might be a bit under powered probably. Im young and got alot of wood splittin left in me. I think it makes sense to buy once, cry once. Like I said it wont take many cords of wood sold at Colorado prices to pay for the thing twice over.

Thanks USMC615. Sounds like you genuinely like it and not like some that just recommend crap because its what you got. I appreciate that. Out of all the forums im on with cars, bikes, boats, etc. I can always come here and get shot straight on most things.

I would feel a 4way on a 22t might be a bit under powered probably. Im young and got alot of wood splittin left in me. I think it makes sense to buy once, cry once. Like I said it wont take many cords of wood sold at Colorado prices to pay for the thing twice over.
If that's the case, bump your sights up, get a SS HD, and be done with the first and last splitter you will ever need...bar none. And be done with it.

Thanks USMC615. Sounds like you genuinely like it and not like some that just recommend crap because its what you got. I appreciate that. Out of all the forums im on with cars, bikes, boats, etc. I can always come here and get shot straight on most things.
I wouldn't even waste my time, nor yours, young man, if the Super Split, was not the real deal splitter. You decide...you get what you get, when you make a splitter purchase. Kinda burned out going back and forth about a splitter. I gave you my best recommendation, I have a dual split 20-ton splitter as well with 7-sec split time, both ways. And the SS outdoes it every time. Buy a Super Split and be done with it, No hydraulics, no pumps, no nothing. It's an engine, driving flywheels with either one or two drive belts, depending on what model you buy. Buy this thing if you have the money, they last literally generations. Ya gotta pay to play when you alleviate hydraulics, pumps, hydraulic oil, etc. Don't know what else to tell ya young man. Make your decisions as best you can. Wish you the best regardless what route you go.

my buddy bought the dirty hand tools splitter and i have used it on 5-6 cord. seems to work really well. it is the 22 ton model. it sat in my shop all summer and i pulled it out monday. put fresh gas in it and it fired up on the first pull. DHT is a sponser here and they have seemed to have given good service to anyone that has needed it. lowes has them here in pa under $1,000. just my 2 cents.
I followed Farmersteve's recommendation and got the 22t dirty hand tools splitter and have used it a lot this year and not one lick of trouble. I would but it again in a heart beat. It hasn't disappointed me yet. I picked it up for well under $1000 black Friday week last year.

The SS is a slick machine for sure, but to me it has 1 drawback that makes it most impractical. That is that it cannot go vertical. When scrounging, I commonly come across wood too big to pick up, and must be split vertically. I think if you never come across wood too big to pick up, go for it. If you are like a lot of us though, and have to rely on what you can get, that is certainly something to that needs to considered in making your buying decision. As far as durability, equipment lasts as proportionately to the maintenance performed on it. My Dad still has my Grandpa's hydraulic splitter that was purchased in the 1970s & it's still going strong. Again I will state that the SS Is a fantastic machine, but it's not the be all, end all for everyone.

I couldn't agree more with the post about scrounging wood. Unless the buyer has an unlimited supply of nice small to medium size wood than a SS might be the way to go. I recently had a 4 foot red oak given for the taking. Can't imagine trying to handle that with the SS. I would like to see a SS video splitting even a 3 foot diameter log, though I don't know how one would lift it to the table. Noodling seems like a waste of time and effort.

Well I do have a MS460 mag for the big stuff. Noodle it up and get it on the table. I really want that SS but knowing I can get something that will do the same job, all though at a little slower pace, for 1/3 the money has me held up. I have no doubt the American made SS is a nice machine but I can buy 3 DHT 22T for the same price. That being said the SS has its pros for sure!! No hydraulics to leak, hoses to dry rot, pumps to go out, etc.

I think some guys would have you believe that a hydraulic splitter is a never-ending source of repairs. My 17 year old splitter has needed 2 repairs in its lifetime. A love joy coupling and a new engine. The cylinder, pump, and control valve are original and show no signs of needing replacement. The engine by the way was replaced by a Harbor Freight Predator. Can't believe how well that thing runs! Better than the Briggs&Stratton it replaced.

Noodling is a pain. I only do it when I have to. I have a big saw for the big stuff but going vertical is faster than noodling a bunch of large rounds.

I also would like to see a SS deal with a 3 way crotch from a hard maple or oak. Those slow down a hydraulic but don't stop it. Doubt the SS would handle those uglies.

As for maintenance there really isn't much minor maintenance. The only thing I have had to do is change the oil.

Just remember there is one or two people standing on a hill excited about the SS. There are more than 10x the recommendation s for the DHT hydro. Get what you want but that's how I am reading this.

Im taking it all in guys. I wouldnt want to set there all day and noodle but its fun to watch that big saw do its magic sometimes. Most things around where we will he will be smaller Pinion Pine....12" or so across. If we all had the same splitter or the same saw these forums would he useless.

On the Predator motors....those are some good little freakin motors.

Latest posts

Back