Old school Cross Cut Saw handle source ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog_River

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Like the title say I am looking for an Old school Cross Cut Saw handle source ? I have a seen a few online and ordered one but had to return it because the config was wrong.

Any clues ?

Thanks in advance, Dog_River

Note also that handles above blade = eastern style and handles behind and even with blade = western style. Your best option will likely be used from the 'Bay or second-hand stores. Pairs of Disston or Symonds handles usually go for $50-$100 USD depending on condition.

I have tried to do business with these guy's and they quoted me an outrages shipping price, prolly because I'm a Canuck. I bought one of their handles thru a distributor of theirs and it did'nt work for me. I wanted and ordered it "Un-drilled" and you guessed it they shipped it drilled. When I called them back I just got the run around and gave up.

But thanks for the tip. Dog_River

You can try these guys. I have no personal experience with them.
http://crosscutsaw.com/

get a shovel handle or two depending on how many you need. Find an approximate diameter on the handle, and cut to length, drill a hole in the proper place yer done, that is assuming you have the hardware and are just looking for the wood portion.

Isn't the true old school one just a round stake about a foot long and dropped into a tapered hole? Ours was when I was a kid and it was used to hack out the crucifixion cross by a previous owner.

Lehmans is supplied by http://crosscutsaw.com/. I ordered from Lehmans and I need an un-drilled handle, they sent drilled and did not want to go out of their way and send me what They have in their catalog and I had ordered. I came up empty with Lee Valley as well.

There is also Lehman's the amish type catalog folks, have new saws and hardware for em or Lee Valley/Veritas they may have the right stuff.

Isn't the true old school one just a round stake about a foot long and dropped into a tapered hole? Ours was when I was a kid and it was used to hack out the crucifixion cross by a previous owner.

I already have this handle. I need the main handle.

If you have anything left of your old one maybe its time to fetch the scroll saw and router and start from scratch.

I find that most crosscut saw handles can be modified to best suit your personal needs. Hole in your saw too small for the pin? Chainsaw file will fix that. Handle pin too small and gets deformed when you tighten the handle? Drill it out and replace it with a grade 8 bolt. Want a handle hole in a different place? Drill it yourself. Like northmanlogging said, every broken shovel handle has a second life as a saw handle.

However -- Are you looking for what's called a "D-handle" or just another pin-style handle? Either one can be made to work. Your picture showed a one-man saw. If you have basic woodworking skills, these are easy to make.

Home-made D-handle with T-nuts:

P1000112_zpsggghnnc4.jpg

Back