Recommend me a Log Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im taking it all in guys. I wouldnt want to set there all day and noodle but its fun to watch that big saw do its magic sometimes. Most things around where we will he will be smaller Pinion Pine....12" or so across. If we all had the same splitter or the same saw these forums would he useless.

On the Predator motors....those are some good little freakin motors.
Sounds like the ss is great for you 12 inch is handle-able. I started with a troy built with the vertical which was 27 ton but slow I now use my tw6 and vertical is not needed :)

Attachments

• 003-5.jpg
    003-5.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 19
Fair enough. Everyone has different needs. For 90% of what I get into the SS doesn't seem to fit. For you it may based on what you think you will get into. Good luck let us know what you get.

As for the predator engines from harbor freight, I keep hearing good things and that is surprising for HF.

DHT are great and have fantastic customer service. I have used a 27T extensively from a friend and really like it.flate

@DHT if you see this I would love to see a splitter from you with high speed hubs for use on highways.

The spindles on all of our units are 1" dia so you can put on a 4 or 5 bolt circle hub to them, and a 12" dia trailer wheel. This will raise the height of the splitter 2" but you can move the bracket on the beam to the aux holes so that the foot plate is still flat on the ground when splitting in the vertical position.

We'll release some CAD drawings of our commercial splitter later this month.

Here's what I'm using, I bought it last winter and used it hard, splitting a lot of elm. Since the weather has cooled, I'm about to start using it again. If all you are splitting is small diameter pinon pine, this machine would handle it easily. What I like about this design is the splitting wedge moves in both directions, so you don't have to wait for for the machine to cycle back into position. Handles up to 24 inch long rounds. Won't split in vertical position, but I've not found that to be an issue. I have a big noodle saw and quarter up the big ones to make them easier to handle. The predator engine fires up on the first few pulls. I'm happy with it so far. Can't beat the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-log-splitter-61594.html

I have a 35 ton Speeco with the Honda engine on it. Have had it for 5 years and with the exception of regular maintenance not a lick of problems. The thing is a beast and will process anything you put on the beam. I can fully appreciate the Super Splits speed and people liking the fact that they can bang through straight grained wood at a very fast pace. But for me processing 8 to 10 cord a year for personal use speed really wasn't a factor in my decision to buy. Though not retired yet I still have plenty of time to split wood. I have a tendency to take breaks often and just sit and enjoy the outdoors. In my opinion if you are not cutting to sell or cutting huge amounts of wood for personal use speed may not be the only thing that should be considered when looking to buy a splitter.

I watched a video on Youtube of the HF splitter amd it was like watching paint dry slow. Im pretty much down to the DHT 22T or the SS J Model.

I watched a video on Youtube of the HF splitter amd it was like watching paint dry slow. Im pretty much down to the DHT 22T or the SS J Model.
Can't go wrong either way...I say J model all the way, with the production table. It's a must. But the end result, regardless of purchase, is the same...split wood to burn and stay warm. Post up pics of whatever you buy.

Split Second Log Splitter offers a log lift for the big rounds, that will bolt on any SS model. It's a manual lift by configuration, but the way it's designed, leverage-wise, works like a champ. Take a look at it on their site. They're also a site sponsor here...little food for thought. Also, fear not that the SS's are for straight grain wood. Might have to hit a crotched, gnarly round a couple of times, at a 3 sec cycle time each, but it'll push through anything you can put on it.

Yessir, will do. Either one I do I will wait till we get to Colorado....no need in having something else to pack. The GF has INFORMED me we are getting a SS....lol.
Good deal...you won't regret the purchase and investment. The production table, again, is a must. You folks will thoroughly enjoy any SS model you choose.

In her eyes its pick between the Subura or the Honda. Never owned a Suburu before but havent heard anything bad about em. We have a Honda eu2000 genny and she LOVES that thing so feel like we will be going Honda on this SS engine. Wish you could get them without a motor and add a little Predator to them. Those little motors are bullet proof for the money. I do a ton of welding so might could save money not getting a hitch, table or stand and build my own after I run it and see what would work good on it. I will call Paul on Monday and see what he thinks.

In her eyes its pick between the Subura or the Honda. Never owned a Suburu before but havent heard anything bad about em. We have a Honda eu2000 genny and she LOVES that thing so feel like we will be going Honda on this SS engine. Wish you could get them without a motor and add a little Predator to them. Those little motors are bullet proof for the money. I do a ton of welding so might could save money not getting a hitch, table or stand and build my own after I run it and see what would work good on it. I will call Paul on Monday and see what he thinks.
Honda or Subaru...can't go wrong. I'm sure Paul will sell a unit without a gas or electric motor. Engine longevity is simply changing the oil when needed, and the Honda GX or Subaru will last ya a lifetime, with proper common sense maintenance.

Welcome to Colorado! We are a Colorado company just north of Denver. Down that way you can find our product at Big R, Bomgaars and Lowes. Or give our customer service group a call, sometimes we have scratch and dent and tested units we can sell.

Scratch and dent on a log splitter?????????? Are you kidding me? I'd be all over that if I were close. DHT is a great company.

Scratch and dent on a log splitter?????????? Are you kidding me? I'd be all over that if I were close. DHT is a great company.
Scratch and dent on a friggin splitter...that puts splitter buying in a whole new perspective don't it?? Lol

I've not seen that video. The HF splitter has a two stage pump and is plenty fast for me. Of course, if you set the throttle to near idle speed, it will be like watching paint dry.......

Don't rule out the Electric Motor for the SuperSplit, I got the J Model last fall w/electric, since all of my splitting is within 100 ft. or so of power..
Super quiet, no bad gas to think about, oil changes, ect....... jus plug it in and go......love it !!!!

Back