How much is age a factor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not all of us put up our age and years in the business and what we are doing know? I will start,,I will be 55 in February,,
Started by climbing palm trees in San Diego in 1977,,went in the Navy for a 4 year tour and did tree work on the side because I got stationed in San Diego,,got out and freelanced here, got my ISA cert. tree worker in '92 when employed by the city of La Mesa. I climbed production until 2003 then my ISA cert arborist and then and moved to management.
Currently the op's manager of a company. I am pretty healthy and I help on jobs and stay very active. The worst part of my job is the amount of stress.
Jeff :)

I have been working PT for a highly regarded and established local tree company. I have my own solo landscapeing business and have developed a great relationship with these people and I'm going to work FT with them this winter so that I don't have to rely or deal with snow plowing. I learn a lot and enjoy the work. The 22 year old they hired 1.5 years ago whines a lot when he has to climb and prune stating more than once why don't they make you do this? I said I'd be more than happy too.

In the last month I've gone up in the bucket and have been told I was doing great for my experience level. They are becoming less impressed with their younger hire, yet stated I was probably getting a little too old to start with a climbing career.

Currently 39 in great shape. What are your all thoughts on that?? I was a bit suprised since they have been very happy with me and want me to work FT year round.

In addition to ground work I do a lot of their ornamental pruning, planting and drive their CDL trucks as the younger guy can't or won't get his CDL for whatever reason.

I'll be 42 this January and I can keep up with most of the younger adults. Run 1.5 miles in just over 11 minutes, 55-60 pushups in a minute, and can carry a 75 lb load for 5+ miles in boots.

Age shouldn't determine the ability to work.
Condition does determine it more so. That's some fast time on the running.

I was going to apply for an equipment operators' job with the Forest Service for running cat on fire lines. They won't hire you if you are over 37 for those jobs even if you can perform the required physical fitness test (pack test). This makes ZERO sense to me. I don't understand how this practice is legal.

That has to do with retirement more than fitness. Fire positions have a mandatory retirement age somewhere around 55. The not hiring of folks over 37 was explained to me (I have no inkling if true or not) that there would not be enough time for them to build up a retirement fund. I think. Maybe....

Fire people retire early because they supposedly have more exposure to smoke and hazards, but we timber folk get about the same and work longer. Hack hack hack...

I'm 57 and climb every 5 or more days a week. I started out in 1978 and worked one day as a groundsman. The climber didn't show that day for a palm removal, I volunteered and haven't stopped. I was an ISA certified arborist, but let it lapse. I've lived in the same area most my life and have worked for a lot of company's. I contract now and often travel a hundred miles to a job. I've had my own business for a few years but the stress almost killed me. Local company's are my bread and butter and am friends with most the owners and crews I work with.
I'm thinking about starting up a little tree care business doing a little consulting on the side for my retirement.

55 next month.
Usually feel like I've been in a car wreck the day after doing a lot of climbing / slugging.
The body argues with the brain, but in the end it comes down to the bills that gotta get paid.

I'll be 42 this January and I can keep up with most of the younger adults. Run 1.5 miles in just over 11 minutes, 55-60 pushups in a minute, and can carry a 75 lb load for 5+ miles in boots.

Age shouldn't determine the ability to work.

You're right ... age shouldn't matter. Some of us are in good shape. But it appears that age does matter for many employers. If you are older and can not find employment with an employer, start you own company, small scale, and be your own boss.

FWIW, I'm in my mid-fifties and can run 1.5 miles in just under 8 minutes, but I run and cycle competitively. And I've known a few guys in their early 60's who are even faster than that. What is important here is that we can be in very good shape most of our lives. With age we do lose more strength than endurance, but strength is not an over-riding importance in the vast majority of jobs in terms of physical abilities. Endurance is much more important. And of course, desire and a certain level of commitment to work.

Latest posts

Back