tree worker dies after boom malfunction.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry i didn't get back to you i was out of town. no i am not in the tree biz but know that a lot here are and wanted everyone that uses a boom truck to be aware.
I hope you were on a very relaxtion vacation somewhere. No problem, I thought I would ask as your post mentioned about the manufacturer bulletins, etc. Which is good information to know...

I hope you were on a very relaxtion vacation somewhere. No problem, I thought I would ask as your post mentioned about the manufacturer bulletins, etc. Which is good information to know...
As I took the time to look back, it was someone else who mentioned the bulletins. Sorry! :) Enjoy your summer!
You don't work in this industry do you? If the groundies didn't walk under the boom, there wouldn't be any work done, cause you would have to move the boom out of the way after every branch. Groundies stay out of the drop zone to avoid being hit by falling branches and that's dealt with through communications (yell/response, whistles, microphones, hand signals etc).

Our booms are inspected yearly, non-destructive inspection and testing and dielectric testing.

This accident in Albuquerque was a joy ride that happened on a Sunday asthe arborist named Ken Raschick took four boys up in a lift of a wheeled machine chained to a flatbed trailer. Aerial photo showed no outriggers on the lift and the trailer twisted by the weight of the extended boom. Two occupants (Raschick and 12 year old nephew) died on impact, the seven year old son died about six days later. I haven't seen a follow up of the two ten year olds.

TCIA reported a lift truck snapped boom accident this Monday.

Latest posts

Back