Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
avatar is my first ra & ol saw. really wanted that top for it. just don't look right w/o paintin the rest. wanna leave it as found, and somewhat original.
pics are this saw, w/repaint top.
the darker one is gonna get redone & end up w/"new" top. it was rebuilt in 60's, and put on a shelf by original owner's family. then I got it. is a good runner & the one I take when wantin a ra fix... started on it today.

001.JPG IMG_0957.JPG ra2 001.JPG

RA_5.jpg

A thing of beauty for sure.

The round green emblem disc is one I have not seen before, its not like the originals I have seen on all the other RA`s I ever came across. Wonder if it was a later replacement part?

no idea. was glued on with what looked like ol school window putty. lookin @ cb's, id tend to agree w/your "later replacement". got 2 like his on hc's, and yep, ive thought of robbin one.

edit. been lookin for an excuse to go visit mr acres again. see what he thinks...

re
Nice looking bunch of RA saws. We see quite a few with the raise letters cast in the lid, but most are the ones with the chrome PIONEER emblem on the top. Or at least they had one when they were new. The RA in the photo is only the second one I have owned with a complete chrome emblem. There are several different round medalions as well. I see the one has a serial number on it. The one on my latest saw has raised letters and 2 very ugly rivetts. Were the RA saws with the cast in PIONEER on the top made after they became Pioneer?

Got the new main bearings for the 3270 today and fitted the non floater to the crank,showed my girls(6 and 7) all about thermal expansion and compression(hot bearing and cold crank)mmmm,rather be watching that hanna montanna thing I think,thought my boy mite care,but being a black lab...hes was more interested in having a feast on the cats left overs....
This CAD is hard work eh:censored:
hay man you got many leads on 3270 parts here in nz?

re
Nice looking bunch of RA saws. We see quite a few with the raise letters cast in the lid, but most are the ones with the chrome PIONEER emblem on the top. Or at least they had one when they were new. The RA in the photo is only the second one I have owned with a complete chrome emblem. There are several different round medalions as well. I see the one has a serial number on it. The one on my latest saw has raised letters and 2 very ugly rivetts. Were the RA saws with the cast in PIONEER on the top made after they became Pioneer?

That is what I have been told by many that were more involved with Pioneer back in the mid to late 50`s. Unfortunately our old Pioneer dealer passed away before I really got interested in the RA saws but the mechanic that worked at that dealership was one person that told me the early RA`s had the removable chrome emblems and that they were made over in Vancouver.

I believe that is correct Jerry. I picked this RA and parts up at an auction a few weeks ago. Had a fellow looking for one to complete a project. I did not see IEL anywhere on the saw.

I have several of the RA`s like the one in your pict including the one from my grandparents farm, it was bought new in 1958 but it might have been made a year earlier as saws often sat for a while at the rural dealer in their neighborhood. I believe this model was the last of the sand cast saws before they started using the diecast system to make the early model 600.

fwiw, was told by original owners nephew, the one in my avatar was bought in '58 from iel plant. may be a later top, in good light the paint not quite the same. low # on it. 02xxx

Very nice to have history on a saw, I always tried to dig up some history on the old saws I restored. Some had a very long and interesting past.

hi all, anybody know if a 2460 air filter cover will fit my 3270, they look identical in pictures, im sure somebody here will know

Latest posts

Back