Toro dingo mini skid slow moving, bad transaxle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a toro dingo tx425 mini skid with 1,2xx hours. It has gradually been getting weaker/slower in moving, with the left side control being sluggish. The boom and auxiliary still work normally. I removed the hydro filter, cut it open and I have zero metal flakes/shavings. From my research, it seems the transaxle(s) are the culprit since they run the track hydros. It seems these transaxles are similar to what you would find on a zero turn mower. So does anyone have any experience with this problem? Just order new ones or rebuild them? I'm gonna order a service manual here soon, but figure I would ask some of the knowledgeable cats on here for additional info.

looks like a typical pump off a Z. I assume it has hydro motors like a Z too. If so it doesnt cost much to make up a couple hoses with a flow control needle valve/pressure gauge to check pressure from your pump and determine if its the pump or motor. hoses and fittings ordered online you will only have $100 in a pressure test setup and it may save you from replacing a pump that doesnt need replaced although if one part has failed it is probably time to freshen up both pumps and motors. both are pretty simple to rebuild. motor is basically a seal kit and a bunch of bearings to replace. motor is a bit more involved and has lots more parts to replace but still easily doable. tear it apart and check your pressures....get numbers off the motor and pump. sometimes its cheaper to rebuild and sometimes it isnt. depends on the brand of pump and motor that is used. If that hydro gear pump you have listed is the correct one for the unit PM me and i think i can do a little better on the price of the complete unit or get you parts to rebuild yours.

Here is some info I found on the pump system. Now it makes sense that I didn't find any metal debris in my spin on filter since the drive system is a closed circuit and not plumbed to the filter. I need to check my serial number and see what pumps and motors I have. My wheel motors aren't leaking, so I assume they aren't worn out, but may be contaminated. With the belt off, both pumps spin freely with out any resistance/binding up. I really need to order up a service manual.

image.png

looks like a typical pump off a Z. I assume it has hydro motors like a Z too. If so it doesnt cost much to make up a couple hoses with a flow control needle valve/pressure gauge to check pressure from your pump and determine if its the pump or motor. hoses and fittings ordered online you will only have $100 in a pressure test setup and it may save you from replacing a pump that doesnt need replaced although if one part has failed it is probably time to freshen up both pumps and motors. both are pretty simple to rebuild. motor is basically a seal kit and a bunch of bearings to replace. motor is a bit more involved and has lots more parts to replace but still easily doable. tear it apart and check your pressures....get numbers off the motor and pump. sometimes its cheaper to rebuild and sometimes it isnt. depends on the brand of pump and motor that is used. If that hydro gear pump you have listed is the correct one for the unit PM me and i think i can do a little better on the price of the complete unit or get you parts to rebuild yours.

Ya, definitely would like to check the pressure output. Gonna get a service manual and see how they recommend doing it. The link I posted is just a generic pump I found when searching. I'll be in touch when I'm ready to
Order pumps or rebuild kits. I was just down your way Monday trucking. Took cinders to a small town south of Barnsville.

Probably pump needs rebuilt. Easy to do. Only issue is what brand and model are they. Some brands parts aren't easily available and certain models are locked up as OEM only

Back