070 for chainsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnslabber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm trying to use what I have just not sure if it's up to the task. I would like to use a 72 inch bar I'm not sure if the clutch is up to milling in hardwood i.e. Osage Orange ,maple oak. It has the 3 shoe instead of the 6 shoe of the 090. I would upgrade to the 66'll cylinder but the clutch is still the weak link.this is just for occasional use on wide stuff so speed is less of a factor than width of cut. If I can baby it through that works for me.the clutches are cheap ,the adapter sleeves are hard to come by. Do I need to replace them every time I remove it to change sprockets or the clutch?I'm thinking of getting a 3/8 bar with skip tooth milling chain with an 8 tooth rim sprocket. Any insights on this would be appreciated

I don't think you will have any problems if taken easy in the cut. I'm running a 60" bar in hardwoods with a 3 shoe. Same clutch on board for some years now. Give it a go and happy birthday!

I don't think you will have any problems if taken easy in the cut. I'm running a 60" bar in hardwoods with a 3 shoe. Same clutch on board for some years now. Give it a go and happy birthday!
Thanks timber framed I'm looking forward to it.

im familiar with 070, it should pull longest bar with no problem if set right
remember the clutch size for 3120/088/084/075/076/395 and any similar size milling saw
clutches arent any heavier or bigger than 070 is
just not as good as 090 though
parts are easy to get here in my region
i also have a spare used very good condition 070 p&c after upgrading to 66mm p&c
i can source parts if you need any :)

im familiar with 070, it should pull longest bar with no problem if set right
remember the clutch size for 3120/088/084/075/076/395 and any similar size milling saw
clutches arent any heavier or bigger than 070 is
just not as good as 090 though
parts are easy to get here in my region
i also have a spare used very good condition 070 p&c after upgrading to 66mm p&c
i can source parts if you need any :)
Thanks robin wood, my next step is shopping for a 60" or longer bar. Probably pie in the sky to hope for a used one

My three shore clutch in the seventy kept peeling linings I bought a 090 clutch for it.. somebody said you can put a 3 shoe steel clutch in it also.. it pulled a 66 inch bar in burr oak... White oak family.. just fine

those lined 3 piece clutch had issues as you mentioned
thats why stihl decided to replace it with cast iron shoes
those lined one are NLA and only handful NOS are left
the metal style clutch doesnt have that problem but might not bite the drum as good
or it might be just me being paranoid

Back