Rayco RG40 Tracked Machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedar

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying this grinder. It has a 40 hp subaru gas engine. Anyone have experience with this machine and engine. Thanks

Thanks for your response ronnyb. I would like to demo the machine but the closest dealer is 4 hours away. I'm starting to think I should look for a used diesel grinder.

I used to have the RG35T, and it was time for an upgrade. I dont have the $$ for a diesel yet and saw some promising design upgrades on this RG40T. I've had several issues that the dealer diligently worked hard to resolve to 95%. I am still hoping Rayco is gonna stand up and get the last 5%, so I am not gonna slam them right here, right now. If you are still looking to buy a machine and want my .02, PM me and possibly we can have a phone conversation. All in all, definitely an upgrade from the previous model. The Suby engine is leaps above the 35 B&S.

Hey fishinpa, curious as to why the Subaru is leaps above the 35 Briggs. Any comments? Will one day be upgrading the engine on my grinder, so am curious about the Subaru 40. thank you. Stumper63

ssIt's hard to explain other than the basics. It boggs less, recovers faster when it does get bogged, runs at 3600rpm all day long. (although it like to be wound down once an hour or so for 5 minutes) Maybe its just the extra 5 hp?? OH, and it fires up immediately when you turn the key!

Stumper63, you just can't stop upgrading your stumpers, or?
As mentioned in NCGrinder's Upgrade thread, I myself thought about those subarus on my Vermeer.
What kept me off is the fact, that plyscamp's 252 Diesel has 64ft/LB and he needed to Upgrade the whole drive-train because it was too much torque.
From the paper the EH990 has 64ft/LB too.
I did some calculations regarding the belts and drive shaft and came to the same conclusion, the shafts and belts will not gonna make it without major mods, to which I not feel major motivated.

Regards Marne

That 40HP is is a Generac engine - not a built in Japan genuine Subaru engine. Genrac = Low cost junk IMO

With a 5 year warranty, nobody else gives.

LOL Marne. I sold the 252 with the Vanguard a couple years ago, whole machine was getting old and worn. I was actually disappointed in the longevity of the Vanguard, only had about 1400 hours on that engine and it was using gobs of oil.
Bought a 292 when they came out in Nov 2013, about 3 months before they came out with the 362, argh. Salesman swears he didn't know they were coming out with the 362 when I bought the 292, whatever. So I've got the 29hp Kohler (now they call it a 26.5 under new power rating rules).
Anyway, got about 1000 hours on it so far, so just looking to the future on the engine upgrade. The 292 has the same drive train as the 362, which is a major upgrade from the 252. 1-3/4" cutter wheel bearings that are now double roller bearings, the jackshaft belts are one size up from the 252 as well. Cutter wheel belt is way wider than the 252. I do think the clutch on the 362 is different, probably a bit beefier, but hey, if a 252 clutch can use the power of a 35hp Vanguard with no issues, than the 292 clutch should be ok when the days comes. Or it may be time to just upgrade to the 362 clutch at the time of a new engine. The machines are twins except the 362 has the 4 wheel stance, I've got the tricycle, which is fine for me.
Fwiw, I got 900 hours on the cutter wheel bearings, about double what I used to get on the 252.

Maybe Kohler will come out with a horizontal shaft 37-40 hp EFI engine by time I need one. They have the vertical out now. The 292 came with the EFI Kohler, no issues with it so far. And the Kohler 25 on my first 252 went 4300 hours with no issues, I kinda like Kohler so far. Demo'd the new SC40TX a few weeks ago with the 40hp Kohler diesel, was good, but feel alot of hp was going to running the hydraulic motor on the cutting wheel. If they'd just put that engine in a 292 or 362 frame....

Stumper63

Stumper63, I am interested in the SC40TX. How does it compare to a gas powered, belt driven machine like the 292? Also how much does the SC40TX cost? Thanks

I believe the price was about $42K. Definitely faster than my 292, I think the sweep was a bit wider too. But probably not all that much faster than the 362 which is less than $20K. Losing a bit of hp to the all hydraulic machine. We were cutting a cedar stump too, soft, so wasn't super impressed. I think if you got those yellow jackets off of it and a better cutter wheel design with less teeth it would liven up a bit. Very heavy machine, stout little guy, looks cool, but probably won't be getting one.

Stumper63

Back