How many are running square ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chain was about 1/3 used up. I reshape the rakers for smoothness. They look stock. I don't need as low of rakers to get a good bite in the wood with the angles I use.

I envy you wood where you can use such angles and high rakers. Very seldom I run into alike. Mostly hard, or gritty, or both so such a chain would be dull about 2" into the first cut. And when I can use the "high raker, low angle, long noodle" formula, the saw bogs itself with the regular side cover. I´m even thinking about making my own, since I may be in some clean wood finaly this winter...

The term ra
are you missing the point?
Not after i learned to wear cut resistant gloves. Hows this for OL' SKOOL----rakers are the tooth on a cross-cut saw(misery whip)that pulled the the chips or shaving out of the way for the next tooth series for or aft. what we actually have on saw chain is a rider:muscle: If this was brought up earlier i apologize in advance.

Lol..Well you got the pun anyways.
Rides? I believe i've heard of it. Too Old school, can you bring it back to last quarter of the 20th Century.
It is a better name as it rides on wood & controles movement.
It was probably a confusion thing in the end as half the people would confuse the drives as rides.
I got a feeling about this one..don't ask me how..I just do. Ha Ha
History lessons are always welcome.

Thnx

I'm used to a saw that is pretty well balanced so a longer bar is screwy for me, and hard on my back. I broke my back 5 years ago and that destroyed 3 disks so I have to be careful.
Nearly all the logging we do is mechanized so hardly ever drop trees by hand. Not that I can't, but the feller buncher has a nice seat, radio and heat. :p

I've seen pictures years ago on Alaska4x4 network of some forwarders. I knew there was some logging around Palmer and such but never knew if it was for a local mill or what. If you don't mind me asking what are you guys cutting species wise and what kind of market?

Birch, spruce and poplar. (cottonwood and aspen)

Spruce and poplar is used for lumber. It's all small mills though, mostly custom sized stuff. I don't deal with lumber, my focus is just on firewood.

I've seen pictures years ago on Alaska4x4 network of some forwarders. I knew there was some logging around Palmer and such but never knew if it was for a local mill or what. If you don't mind me asking what are you guys cutting species wise and what kind of market?

Birch, spruce and poplar. (cottonwood and aspen)

Spruce and poplar is used for lumber. It's all small mills though, mostly custom sized stuff. I don't deal with lumber, my focus is just on firewood.

Small mills like woodmizers and a few of those have planers or smaller fixed sawmills?

When you say cottonwod and aspen are you lumping the two together? They are both part of the same family (Salicaceae) while Birch is part of the Betulaceae family. Cottonwood and poplar are just common names as cottonwood and poplar share the same genus Populus but are different species.

Yes, because they have similar wood and are of the same value for firewood or lumber. Kind of like 2x4s are "SPF", spruce, pine, fur".

Some of the sawmills just do rough cut, some do some finish work. At the shop I'm at we have a small planer as well as a bigger planer/moulder, Nyle kiln, etc. Don't do much finish work though, 99% of what is sold is rough cut.

I use full chisel on my husky and still cuts nice and fast when sharp but like the others said hit the dirt or rock it and it needs a grinder to get it back I get about 4 tanks on my 880 with the .404 before I need to use a file sometimes I can cut for days before I notice that I am starting to lean on my saw again.

Yes, because they have similar wood and are of the same value for firewood or lumber. Kind of like 2x4s are "SPF", spruce, pine, fur".

Some of the sawmills just do rough cut, some do some finish work. At the shop I'm at we have a small planer as well as a bigger planer/moulder, Nyle kiln, etc. Don't do much finish work though, 99% of what is sold is rough cut.

Gotcha thanks for the info.

Back