Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh hell. Pulled S25 da oil pump and saw diaphragm is torn. Now will have to find one or more likely a parts saw. I do have 4 others so may have to canabalize one.

Bob,
Let me know if you want to swap out an OEM cover for a modded one, it puts a stop to having to carry a small screwdriver out in the woods.

The saws also pass pressure & vac testing now w/o having to pull the cover off and plug the impulse hole, provided that your diaphragm is not leaking, LOL.

I'm down working in your hometown about every other week....until the end of the 2015 year.
image.jpeg

I want to add some fuel stabilizer to all my saws for the winter. I try and start them all once a week but still think I should put some in. How much should go in each saw with a tank of fuel?

id just put it in your mix. most oil has stabilizers in. for ones that dont get to run much, I prefer to run em, get em good & warm, then dump fuel, and run em dry, just lite p revvin and idlin. if yer [like myself] usin non eth, the I don't mind em sittin w/fuel in for short preiods, few mo. or less

Bob,
Let me know if you want to swap out an OEM cover for a modded one, it puts a stop to having to carry a small screwdriver out in the woods.

The saws also pass pressure & vac testing now w/o having to pull the cover off and plug the impulse hole, provided that your diaphragm is not leaking, LOL.

I'm down working in your hometown about every other week....until the end of the 2015 year.
View attachment 465187

Sure. I have one I'll swap. Let me know when ur in town. Be interested to see how u did it.

I have a s25da I just picked up with my 3700. It is only missing a couple things and could be a runner, but if you need a parts saw and want this one, let me know. I'll have to see if the diaphragm is good.
Thanks but I have 5. Only one is a points saw so I think I'll use that one.

I want to add some fuel stabilizer to all my saws for the winter. I try and start them all once a week but still think I should put some in. How much should go in each saw with a tank of fuel?

I use the regular Sta-Bil, will get some the Marine formula when my supply runs out, mix it per their instructions for however many gallons of fuel I have. Regular 87/10 gas and Sta-Bil. For 2-cucle mix I add Echo dino oil at 40:1, and the proper amount of Seafoam (some folks consider SF to be snakeoil, I figure it won't hurt anything).

And I run the 2-cycle equip dry as rocketnorton explains.

id just put it in your mix. most oil has stabilizers in. for ones that dont get to run much, I prefer to run em, get em good & warm, then dump fuel, and run em dry, just lite p revvin and idlin. if yer [like myself] usin non eth, the I don't mind em sittin w/fuel in for short preiods, few mo. or less

Just me, but I would advise against any long term storage of ethanol blended fuels in a saw/carb. The warning/effects of ethanol >10% on those diaphragms may cause accelerated wear. No different than running blended fuel all the time I would guess.

On a side note, I threw an kit in a fellows saw two seasons ago. He wouldn't run Super Supreme. Sta-Bil and full tanks over winter. I am putting another kit in it now. Pump diaphragm finished. $15 for a kit + $60 labor at the local shop would have paid for the upgrade on a lot of litres of fuel. Same deal with his FIL's newer German on the bench. Two years of constant exposure. Done. Local shop advises all the folks to run the regular fuels. They also do a lot of "tune-ups". Just throwing that out there.

Just me, but I would advise against any long term storage of ethanol blended fuels in a saw/carb. The warning/effects of ethanol >10% on those diaphragms may cause accelerated wear. No different than running blended fuel all the time I would guess.

On a side note, I threw an kit in a fellows saw two seasons ago. He wouldn't run Super Supreme. Sta-Bil and full tanks over winter. I am putting another kit in it now. Pump diaphragm finished. $15 for a kit + $60 labor at the local shop would have paid for the upgrade on a lot of litres of fuel. Same deal with his FIL's newer German on the bench. Two years of constant exposure. Done. Local shop advises all the folks to run the regular fuels. They also do a lot of "tune-ups". Just throwing that out there.

Wait, are you saying not to run 10% ethanol fuel? I don't usually store my chainsaw at all. The longest it goes without running is maybe a month or two. I've only ran premium 10% ethanol fuel in it with Stihl Ultra HP oil. There's a small airport near me that sells non-ethanol fuel though.

I'm sure you all have noticed this before, but looking at the 4200-8500 saws, I've noticed that some of the mufflers have different lengths of pipe coming out of the muffler where it bends. Was there any reason for this or just a year to year or model change? I was just curious, here is one on my 4200 and one on my 5200 for comparison.

20151201_003543.jpg 20151201_003555.jpg

iam curious to what you think about the cylinder and piston I accidentally broke the rings, it was my dads bow saw for fire wood he used it for many years it was running when he got out of fire wood about 15 years ago I want get it running just mess aroundwith but don't want put to much money in it since I cant use it at work

iam curious to what you think about the cylinder and piston I accidentally broke the rings, it was my dads bow saw for fire wood he used it for many years it was running when he got out of fire wood about 15 years ago I want get it running just mess aroundwith but don't want put to much money in it since I cant use it at work
What model? Any damage from the broken rings? Pics maybe?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

It's a poulan 3400 I broke rings by dropping them to the floor
Ahhhh, so they didn't break while running it. Totally different story in repair. :) Lol. Def worth fixing/refreshing. I think the Greek has some caber's on fleabay. There may be some others chiming in here shortly. That cylinder and piston should clean up nicely...

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thatwould be great if I only need rings and a gasket , you guys think just clean that piston and cylinder with some lite paper

Back