Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burn it hot and enjoy the heat. I have been burning it since October as needed. My chimney doesn't look any different when cleaned than when I burn just hardwood. I like to run the stove wide open periodically to burn off any creosote that may have built up when I had the flue closed down.

What are everyone's thoughts on burning pine? Around here if it's not hard maple, people don't want it. I have always been told that pine will creosote the chimney.

Pine is great firewood, just get it dry and don't choke it down. It takes awhile to season and I prefer it bark off for long term storage, dries better and less ants.. I have been burning it since 1970 when I first started cutting and working with guys selling firewood. That's what we burned, all the oddball lesser species and sold the good stuff..well, because we were all poor woods hippies and needed the scratch and that's what the rich folks wanted, "pretty" hardwoods. I found it was fine as firewood, and still to this day I make a point of always having some in my mixed stacks, and I have one stack of pure pine for making kindling bundles. So if you are in an area where someone will pay you to haul it off because of prejudice, or can scrounge it easy and free, you a lucky boy! Creosote comes from burning any wood that is not dried correctly and over dampering and over choking down the air intake. Burning=good, smouldering=bad, just how it goes, any species.

What are everyone's thoughts on burning pine? Around here if it's not hard maple, people don't want it. I have always been told that pine will creosote the chimney.
Around here I have white, Jack, and Norway pine as well as white and black spruce, tamarack, and balsam to round out the needled tree spectrum.

Balsam is worthless. Spruce and pine are good with Norway at the top of that heap (having the same output as black ash). Tamarack is significantly better than Norway and in my opinion is the best sauna wood out there as it puts out heat much faster than oak and a full load will last longer than needed for an evening of sauna heat.

Anyone who says they produce too much creosote simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

Put another hour in the garage tonight. Slowly but surely I will get the wiring done and actually have room for two vehicles in there. By the time I got out there my 2yo was asleep above me so I didn't pound any wiring staples as I didn't feel like dying tonight lol.

I'm going to try to do a little garage work every night this winter on the various small engine projects I have accumulated. A little bit consistently goes a long way.

Finally finished off the pine and moved into burning fully seasoned hardwood for the first time. I am usually burning wood cut and split in the same year. I let it season by the stove a bit but its nothing like this fully seasoned stuff. Holy btu's. One load of hard wood after the stove was hot and the house over 75 degrees.

You ever see wet looking flaky residue in your stove after an overnight burn? Thought it was caked on creosote but it flaked right off the back top corners of the stove. May need to increase the primary air a bit for overnighters

All my in-laws tell me I can't burn pine. All the firewood sellers specifically mention "all hardwoods" and "no pine" in advertisements. In-laws tell me burning pine will create creosote, I don't believe them.

Read several studies that I would post here but I'm using my phone. Studies have shown burning seasoned pine produced LESS creosote than hardwoods. The explanation was pine will burn fast and really hot so less chance of the smoke cooling down to produce creosote. Also, some hardwoods like white oak are difficult to season so there's a greater chance of someone burning less than ideal firewood

Put another hour in the garage tonight. Slowly but surely I will get the wiring done and actually have room for more chainsaws in there. By the time I got out there my 2yo was asleep above me so I didn't pound any wiring staples as I didn't feel like dying tonight lol.

I'm going to try to do a little garage work every night this winter on the various small engine projects I have accumulated. A little bit consistently goes a long way.

what you really meant.:yes:

I burn the crap out of pine. White, Red, and Tamarack. I love it and the pitchier the better.

Pine is the only thing that I don't feel the need to dry. Many times I have gone from cut and split to stove in the same breath.

It ignites instantly as long as it is split.

Last year Santa Saws gave the neighbor through the woods and one of the Doctors he works with a tote of fresh cut and split Tamarack.

They both have really nice high efficiency indoor stoves.

They absolutely loved it. Santa told them just to use in in the morning on the bed of coals first then put the other wood on. Santa was told that the Tamarack was in flames in under a minute.

When I put a load of cut/split Tamarack in the stove house, it always reeks of turpentine for a few days. I figure that can't be all bad for igniting purposes.

Hey guy's, any of you read the new review section? I hadn't till today. Not sure how it works but I have to say the stihl 2 in 1 file & guide really works awesome. I picked one up last week and it is easier, faster and a sharper chain. Another nice tool in the arsenal.

Hey guy's, any of you read the new review section? I hadn't till today. Not sure how it works but I have to say the stihl 2 in 1 file & guide really works awesome. I picked one up last week and it is easier, faster and a sharper chain. Another nice tool in the arsenal.
I saw that but haven't seen it at my stihl shop. the review said it takes down the rakers rather far. wadda ya think?

Latest posts

Back