Only gripe I've got for Stihl 461... So far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no benefit to running without the cover. If anything I think the cover may help keep as much dust reaching the filter

Perhaps a small portion. My humble opinion is that it protects the filter from being exposed to more dust flying around than what gets in the cover gaps. Regardless, stihl engineered it with something in mind - likely to protect the filter from not only dust but from being accidentally smashed. I'm keeping mine just the same

Why would it protect it? If anything you're forcing the air and dust and channeling it through a small doorway which traps in the debris.

Try it sometime, it's easily reverseable.

I'm sure it's easily reversible. But to me, it's like taking the hood off of your car. If your car is a '32 high boy with a supercharged small block, taking the hood off is cool. If it's a '92 ford f250 work truck and you take the hood off, well, not so much

What I was meaning by protecting the air filter, in the woods a saw gets set down on uneven ground, slinging around through laps, brush, over logs, etc. An air filter, without cover, could easily be damaged - not just clogged with saw dust.

I've never been slowed by needing to clean an air filter on a saw. If you're worried about performance, knock it out while refueling.

It seems you'll not concede there's no significant gain to running a saw without the air filter cover. I'll not be convinced the gain (if any) is significant enough to risk damaging an air filter and possibly taking the saw out of commission until replaced.

Ok, but I don't see the MS461 listed on their site either?

I thought this product was a prefix yet for the HD2, not a rain cover? What gives ?

Just order the one that says it is for the 441. The 441 runs the HD2 as well. It is the same pre-filter. Their website is confusing. But I run these on all my saws that take the HD/HD2 filters. 044 x3,064,046,and 066 and 440 when I had them.

Do you guys see an improvement running the HD2 filters? I am still running the older HDs on my 440, as I have a bunch of them. Upgraded prefilters, but original HD filters and foam inserts.

Here's what you need.

STIHL MS441 20-2471 - Outerwears, Inc. - Original manufacturer of Pre-Filters & Shockwears
1110131137_VT9Bo-M.jpg
Free shipping now

Latest posts

Back