Big Red Oak That Needs to Come Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are that kind or worrier, you probably should avoid using a vehicle on public roads. Tens of thousands die every year in vehicle crashes. Very very few die because a tree fell on their house.

I'd agree that there is risk in having a large tree and that each person should understand that and weigh their tolerance. But until you have somebody who really knows what they are talking about look at the tree in person you won't know. It is NOT like every other tree in the neighborhood. Each one is different.

If you are that kind or worrier, you probably should avoid using a vehicle on public roads. Tens of thousands die every year in vehicle crashes. Very very few die because a tree fell on their house.

As I was reading her post I had exactly the same thought, should stay away from vehicles.

I had a ash about that size removed for under $2000 but mine was not close to any power lines.
  1. "Not close to power lines" - that tells a lot of the story right there. Also, where I live, ash trees are almost always straight and tall - good for floors and cabinets. I've got 1000 sq. ft. of ash going into the house we will commence building once the ground thaws. With the help of a dehumidifier, I have been air-drying that ash in the basement under my shop for 5 years - it sat above ground under cover for 2 years before that.
  2. jmpreiks, if you plan on living in your house for some years, and you can get some of that tree milled-up for a reasonable cost... and there is room on your property without inviting disdain from your neighbors, then you will enjoy neatly stacking it under a loose (but securely held tarp with slats/spacers between the boards so that those boards can air dry for some years. 5 years goes by in a hurry, and it is always pleasurable to make things from a tree that grew on the property where you live.
  3. red oak prices:
    https://www.bairdbrothers.com/54-Red-Oak-Rough-Sawn-Lumber-P12301.aspx

1. "Not close to power lines" - that tells a lot of the story right there. Also, where I live, ash trees are almost always straight and tall - good for floors and cabinets. I've got 1000 sq. ft. of ash going into the house we will commence building once the ground thaws. With the help of a dehumidifier, I have been air-drying that ash in the basement under my shop for 5 years - it sat above ground under cover for 2 years before that.
  2. jmpreiks, if you plan on living in your house for some years, and you can get some of that tree milled-up for a reasonable cost... and there is room on your property without inviting disdain from your neighbors, then you will enjoy neatly stacking it under a loose (but securely held tarp with slats/spacers between the boards so that those boards can air dry for some years. 5 years goes by in a hurry, and it is always pleasurable to make things from a tree that grew on the property where you live.
  3. red oak prices:
    https://www.bairdbrothers.com/54-Red-Oak-Rough-Sawn-Lumber-P12301.aspx
That's a 7 year old thread ...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll know to watch for the old threads showing up in the future.
You brought the almost 8 year old thread back.
No worries. Some old threads are worth resurrecting, but I have a feeling the OP has made his decision, lol.
The op never came back shortly after posting this.

Back