ArborMAX Carbon fiber poles anybody?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anybody use the carbon fiber poles Bailey's is selling? Are they worth it? Are they as stiff or stiffer than 'typical' fiberglass? Only available in 6' sections...

One concern I'd have is the pruning head is going to be more out of balance without at least a little weight at the bottom to give it some counter.

Is being a non conductor an important factor for you? I love the silky poles. Nice and light and good extension. Not sure of the final height though. After a certain height I rather get on an orchard ladder anyway.

Hello, first I havent looked at these in depth, but heres my thoughts.

Just some thought on carbon, or composites for that matter, for the same weight it will be stiffer, how ever, if the dimensions are the same as the marvin/ jameson poles (1.125 x .125) it will weight the same as fiber glass pole. 6 oz of fiberglass cloth weighs exactly the same as 6 oz of carbon cloth. What carbon will offer is the ability to make something with less material, for the same stiffness, and hence lower weight.

Regarding poles, if you're stacking more than three 6 foot lengths, the slop is in the couplings and no matter how stiff the pole is, it will bend in this spot first.

My other concern is the difference in nobility of carbon and aluminum. if you work with composites, you'll know the aluminum is going to give up electrons to the carbon and begin an ugly corrosion process.

For these reasons, I do not think these would be a tremendous value over my glass marvin poles.

Ok, I just checked.

Looks like they have reduced the thickness from .125 to .0625, hence the weight savings.

Too spendy for me, and im not sure it would add that value to the bottom line at the end of the day.

Another thought. If you really want to reduce the effort and bending moment on poles, using the lightest saw head and blade with have a much larger effect that lighter poles. I made my own.. Ill post pics shortly.

I used a old fiberglass shovel handle and bonded and riveted a 1*.0625 aluminum tube inside the fiberglass tube.

Hello, first I havent looked at these in depth, but heres my thoughts.

Just some thought on carbon, or composites for that matter, for the same weight it will be stiffer, how ever, if the dimensions are the same as the marvin/ jameson poles (1.125 x .125) it will weight the same as fiber glass pole. 6 oz of fiberglass cloth weighs exactly the same as 6 oz of carbon cloth. What carbon will offer is the ability to make something with less material, for the same stiffness, and hence lower weight.

Regarding poles, if you're stacking more than three 6 foot lengths, the slop is in the couplings and no matter how stiff the pole is, it will bend in this spot first.

My other concern is the difference in nobility of carbon and aluminum. if you work with composites, you'll know the aluminum is going to give up electrons to the carbon and begin an ugly corrosion process.

For these reasons, I do not think these would be a tremendous value over my glass marvin poles.
Carbon fiber is typically considered non coductive... does carbon fiber and aluminum create a galvanic reaction? This is new to me and interesting.

The epoxy matrix is non conductive, however the fibers themselves are higher on the nobility scale than aluminum. Assuming you have completely isolated the fibers by using a sealant or layer of glass between carbon and aluminum, then it should not be (in theory) an issue. The problem being with these poles is that they look like they uses the same riveted coupling as the glass poles, exposing the rivet to fibers.

The biggest issue for me, is weight at the end of the pole, not the pole itself. I also think this coupling design could use an update, long before a material change in the tube itself.

Pics, homemade polesaw adapter.. much lighter than the cast heads.

Attachments

• IMG_20160205_214521.jpg
    IMG_20160205_214521.jpg
    990.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20160205_214456.jpg
    IMG_20160205_214456.jpg
    963.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20160205_214401.jpg
    IMG_20160205_214401.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I use the blue Phoenix poles from Spyder Manufacturing in California. They are carbon fiber composite. Weight savings are significant. I will never go back to fiberglass. I have a pruner head mounted permanently for a 8' overall length with male ferrule and the rest of the 12' piece with female ferrule as an extension or use with a pole saw head. I saw Baileys was selling carbon fiber poles but I have not used or seen their Arbormax model. I'd be tempted to get a 6' extension for my set. I would not use carbon fiber near high voltage since carbon is conductive.

so basically, a 3' coupler on a 6' pole ?
Jeff

Yes, thats the way that one worked out. I could have cut it down to make a small coupler, but sometimes I like using the 3 foot fixed head saw on its own. The pole saw head itself is from lee valley tools.

Item C in this kit. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=10243&cat=2,42706,40721&ap=1

It attaches to the glass pole with a aluminum tube bonded and riveted to the inside of the yellow tube, like the base.

The male ferul won't fit without modification. Here's a pic to show how this head can be used.

Attachments

• IMG_20160207_161756.jpg
    IMG_20160207_161756.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back