What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asked to made a set of benches from some fir log ends that were left over from a log house reno.
One bench was dedicated to the father for helping them secure the house and land, the other bench was dedicated to friends past.
There were seven pcs. with the average diameter of about 14"and about 44" in length, freehanded the center cut then tossed on the mill set at just under 3". Fastened with big ass dowels/lag bolt plus Titebond glue.
I never did grab a pic of the other bench..
Photo0384.jpg Photo0389.jpg Photo0391.jpg

@Wayne68 do you use an adze to texture and hog out your pieces or some kind of power tool that recreates the texture? I know Festool makes one that is sort of like a plunge planer with curved blades.

Hey sorry for the delayed reply, been clearing some land for a new house and shop that will be started this spring. The only power tool I used from start to finish on that table was a chainsaw, the rest was done by hand. I bore cut out the center of the table base with the saw, then used a log notch gouge to scrape away all the chain marks from the table top and inside of the base. I brushed polyurethane on everything after that, lightly sanded the table base after I peeled the bark off as well.

This is the final chair of a 4-chair set I built for our pool cabana. The chairs are all in different woods...Red Oak, Hickory, Ash and this Walnut, since I didn't have enough 8/4 stock of one species to do them all. It's based loosely on the Maloof low-back chair design although I made my own templates and changed the dimensions and some details. I think I cut up three 2' x 4' sheets of 1/4" mdf making templates and even made a change after completing this last chair. Maybe the next one, whenever that is, will look the way I want.

Since they will live outside in a covered, open-sided area, finish is marine varnish. It's a plasticy look but hopefully it will hold up to what sunlight and moisture get in there.

Attachments

• Walnut Chair.jpg
    Walnut Chair.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Walnut Chair2.jpg
    Walnut Chair2.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 93
Nice looking chairs Cody..
There are a lot of things to like about a Maloof chair, yet there is one or two things that dont work for me (all personal taste). I will be starting to play with chairs in the coming weeks and i will be implementing several of the details from Maloof chairs.
G Vavra

Wow - great looking projects fellas! I'm almost embarrassed to post mine now...

This is what I've got cooking in Santa's workshop. Maple + Walnut cutting boards for my mom and sister. The maple is from a tree that grew on my property, and the walnut grew on my sisters. These blocks were all salvaged from some milling scraps that were headed for the firewood stacks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 69
Good work! What would be more interesting is what are you going to cut on those cutting boards? beings diner time and all. A fat and juicy porterhouse with mushrooms and leeks ? fer starters?

Harvest table for our garden parties, scroll art wall piece for a yoga festival, end table for a small space in our living room

Wow, I don't know how I missed your harvest table, but I'm glad I was going through older stuff looking for ideas. I really like the gutter/planter. I have 3 Dawn Redwood logs waiting for the snow to melt off of them. I think one is going to be a copy of your table. Thanks for posting that one, Joe.

Entry table from Walnut. Curved front. Walnut tree from the yard.
WalnutTable.jpg

That is a pretty little table. So far all I've made have been 3 inch thick slab benches and small slab tables. I need to start hanging around friends that do real carpentry work, and learn how to do something like your table. That's something to be proud of, Joe.

That one door is hitting something in the cabinet . The doors are very long at 46 inches as it is an 11' ceiling. They were kiln dried before I started the project. I
Did install magnets to hold the doors tighter to the frames.

Finally got my router sled up and running after dragging my feet for a while. I knew for my first ever project I wanted to make it as simple as possible.

This is a cherry log I found on Craigslist. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

I used epoxy dyed with black pigment for the cracks, and stained it with teak oil. I really like the way it feels to the touch. Very natural feel to it.

Those hairpin legs I got for super cheap from etsy for 50 bucks. They are not super strong and have some flex to them. The result is a slightly wobbly table which isn't ideal of course. I guess you get what you pay for.

Any advice on metal legs and where to buy them is appreciated.

BOA

Latest posts

Back